AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can get a new copy of RE5 for $20 and was wondering if it was worth getting for my "to play" list?

I've seen the Gametrailers and Ars reviews and am still uncertian about getting it. I have played RE4 on the PS2 and enjoyed it...but that was a long time ago before HD games.

I still have Heavenly Sword, Tomb Raider Underworld, Folklore, Assassins Creed 2 to open and play and have recently finished COD MW2, AC1 and Dead Space. I am planning on getting GOW3 and probably Heavy Rain as soon as they drop in price.

I only get to play games about 4-5 hours a week because of the kids.

Impressions and advice please!

·
Registered
593 Posts
I personally enjoyed it a lot, but I have played every major RE in the series since it launched on PS1. I would recommend it if you enjoyed RE4 because it plays mostly the same and it has some good replayability if you like going for 100% in stuff. I haven't played the new DLC so I cannot comment on that stuff.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I thought RE4 was overlong and overrated, but for some reason I really enjoyed RE5. Maybe it was the constant co-op and online capability -- but whatever it was, I played through the game at least 3 times, unlocked everything, and got the platinum. I haven't checked out the DLC yet.

If you're not put off by the RE4 control scheme, which is still the basis of RE5, then RE5 is more than worth $20.

- Jer

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
The AI is fine at the default difficulty as long as you manage items but I can't imagine playing the game at a higher difficulty with it.

·
Banned
9,953 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssowinski /forum/post/18181272

FYI...I won't be playing with anyone else so the AI will have to play with me.

Don't bother then.

IMO the game wasn't anything great, and the story was small and lackluster. The mechanics are dated, and trying to get through the game with the AI is a PITA, and a lesson in frustration, even on the easier settings.

I really thought the Online COOP was what shown the best for the title. And it did make it more fun to a point.

Looking at your list, you have played and are playing much better games, story wise, and gameplay wise.

So I say skip.

·
Registered
231 Posts
i enjoyed it, it played like RE4 which I loved. I just started replaying it last weekend. The AI isn't bad on regular difficulty, and inventory management wasn't as bad as some make it out to be.

·
Registered
806 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssowinski /forum/post/18179448

I still have Heavenly Sword, Tomb Raider Underworld, Folklore, Assassins Creed 2 to open and play. I am planning on getting GOW3 and probably Heavy Rain as soon as they drop in price.

I only get to play games about 4-5 hours a week because of the kids.

With only that much time in a week and with a backlog of games like that I say skip it. You'll enjoy Heavenly Sword, Folklore, and ACII more and you will enjoy their stories more.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I just started playing co-op with a buddy. The controls are horrible. Try the demo first.

·
Registered
593 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssowinski /forum/post/18181272

FYI...I won't be playing with anyone else so the AI will have to play with me.

Shouldn't be a problem. I played most of the time with the AI and even beat Pro mode with the AI. Yes, AI Sheva can be dumb a lot of the time, but it just makes you better lol.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the advice/impressions.

I'm still on the fence because of the tank controls but think that I could at least handle the AI's antics.

I better make up my mind soon though as the store only has one left for $20.

·
Banned
9,953 Posts
You do get used to the controls. If you had no problem with RE4, you'll have no problem with RE5 after a few hours.

I really don't think $20 copies will be hard to find though in the future. RE5 is getting a special re-release with the DLC on disk. So look for those older non DLC disk to flood the market as fans trade up. It was also a pretty popular game, there's tons of disks out there in circulation.

As for the AI, it's pretty much the same exact thing as RE4. There's nothing new to most of the game, so it really comes down to how much you liked RE4. A lot of the areas and how the game progresses will also have you scratching your head in just how similar it is overall.

They followed the if it isn't broke, don't fix it model.

But for a lot of us that wasn't enough going from SD to HD gaming this gen. I expected more, and wish the story was a little more complex and based in scifi then action fantasy.

·
Registered
293 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxDam77 /forum/post/18182138

I enjoyed it too. Went platinum on that one.

If you enjoyed the 4th one you'll like that one too.

I just beat it on Pro, and I just got a gold trophy, how the heck does one acquire the platinum trophy?? BTW I LOVE this game.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I played RE5 with a friend over the PSN and it was awesome. I'd say yes and even more so if you have a friend who can log on once in awhile to play. Its a great co-op game.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch69 /forum/post/18190656

I just beat it on Pro, and I just got a gold trophy, how the heck does one acquire the platinum trophy?? BTW I LOVE this game.

Just check out the list. You don't need to get the Merc trophies to go platinum. It's like 83% only, the other trophies are "extra ones".

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Went out today and picked it up after carefully tabulating the comments here.

Thanks for all the input. I'm sure I'll get used to the controls and have a blast with the game.

Now do i play it now or another game out of my back log first? But that's a whole other thread.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing /forum/post/18181644

The AI is fine at the default difficulty as long as you manage items but I can't imagine playing the game at a higher difficulty with it.

it's not bad. you need to have unlimited ammo enabled and give the AI partner 1 weapon like the l hawk magnum or sniper rifle. AI on higher difficulty doesn't miss a shot.

especially level 4-2. AI partner with an unlimited sniper rifle is necessary on professional. oh, and 2-3 you definitely need the AI's accuracy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts