AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dont know much about Led but planing on buying a samsung now.I Know very little about Led and is only a couple months away from release,So how much impovement is this?I simply know that ill never will get caught up with Tvs technology and new Led might be only a couple hundred dolllars fom the tv i want,which is not big deal.

So my question is,lets say if i see the new 61''Led sammy park next to the one i want now(s6187w) will i be regret?

Again,i know that is hard to get caught up but how much difference?will it be like DVD and VHS quality or nothing new?

·
Registered
16,177 Posts
The LED DLPs do NOT have better PQ compared with the color wheel based DLPs. Their advantages are longer life span on the bulb (but higher cost on the replacement bulb), and less likely to see rainbows IF you are prone to see them. If you don't see rainbows with DLP technology, then IMO there really is not much of an advantage.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
According to the specs and Samsungs initial information released regarding the LED based DLP, the benefits of the LED far exceed the reduction of RB. As to real world results the jury is still out but early reviews have been less than stellar.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dont know if ill see rainbows,but does all Dlp have rainbows or i depent on the sets?I didnt really pay much attention to the sammy s6187w at the time when i was in BB and beside i was like 10 feet away from it.

The closest to any tv store is like 5 hrs from where i live,but my sears here have a couple sets of dlps,so can i find out if RB is affective to me by look at any DLPs?

The drive is too long so any answer here will guide me to the new tv i want.

THx for any inputs.

·
Registered
16,177 Posts
ccheng187, about 10% of people will see rainbows with DLPs. There is no way to predict whether you are one of them. You just need to spend time viewing them, and make sure to buy from a store with a good return policy in case you see them when you get home.

Andy, I don't pay attention to specs, and certainly not to marketing hype from the company itself. At last year's trade show, the general experience was that the color wheel Sammys looked better than their new 56" LED model. Don't know whether their new models coming out now looked better at the recent show.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.