AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I am hoping that someone here may be able to assist in my issue that has flabbergasted myself and sonos/pioneer tech support.

I bought the Sonos Playbar last week to replace my Yamaha YSP-2200. I have the Sonos playbar wired through ethernet and configured the Sonos Sub and 2 Play 3's for surround. It sounds great in a completely open room with no back wall for projection.

My TV is a Pioneer PDP-6020. Since this TV does not allow audio to be split from the HDMI input I can't connect the playbar via TOSLINK to the TV. Therefore, I got the bright idea of getting a Sony Internet Player NSZ-GS7 which allows me to take an HDMI input and provide an HDMI output as well as an optical (TOSLINK) out. It works well. I also have a network switch behind the TV that I connect everything to.

I'm pushing all the content through a Gefen Matrix from my all my media appliances in the basement. I use a Roomie Remote App with a Global Cache iTach IP2IR unit for IR control. So there is an IP2IR box behind the TV as well.

The system was flawless with the Yamaha soundbar until I added the Sonos. Now you know my entire setup but here is the issue.

If I place the Sonos playbar on a shelf that is sitting about 1 ft below the TV (which is mounted on the wall) everything works flawlessly. The minute I try to move the playbar right under the TV (where ideally I find it needs to be optimally for look and sound and where my yamaha was) about 1 1/2 inches below the TV I start losing video/audio. The sony internet player shows that its not receiving any signal from my Gefen receiver (behind the TV - essentially a box that converts CAT6 to HDMI). I move the playbar back on the shelf and everything goes back to normal. I have even tried placing the playbar in both orientations (the playbar can be placed horizontally or sort of vertically).

I don't understand it. It seems like the playbar is causing interference with the HDMI signal. I even got HDMI cables with ferrets and extra shielding with no luck.

Tonight I am going to replace the Sony Internet Player with a monoprice HDMI switch will provides a TOSLINK out to see if that will resolve the issue however I highly doubt it. I've even exchanged the playbar, as per Sonos techsupport, to see if that would resolve the issue but it didn't.

Hoping the experts here can help me figure this out. Thank you!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I replaced the Sony Internet Player with a monoprice HDMI switch with TOSLINK out and that didn't do anything. Same issue.

After playing around with location of the sound bar I moved it as far to the right of the TV as possible (no where near centre of the TV and the issue seems to have dissipated). So in conclusion I'm thinking that the sound bar is somehow interfering with my Gefen balun (receiver for my extender) because that is mounted on the left hand side of the TV (behind the tv). Odd.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Alternate question for YOU...

How does the Sonos stack up against the YSP-2200?

I'm considering the same switch. The YSP-2200 is great, but in my open floor plan the surround effect isn't all that convincing, and it really stinks with music sources. I have a few sonos Play:1 units and so I'm thinking about the 5.1 setup of Sonos using an HDMI switch since my TV doesn't pass through 5.1 signals.

Your comparison review is appreciated!!! Thanks !

1 - 4 of 4 Posts