Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello HTPC Forum,

For quite some time now, I've been working on a media player called BSoftPlayer. It's been a long road from 1.0 to 4.0, and I've started over four times (once for each release). Recently, I've decided to open BSoftPlayer to the world instead of keeping it as my pet project. That's why I wrote BSoftPlayer4; the source code is now cleaner and more flexible.

BSoftPlayer is a SQL based, free, open source media player. It's written in VB and SQL (don't laugh), uses Microsoft DirectShow 8.0 to play media, supports ID3 v1 and v2, has customizable keyboard shortcuts, and a nice browser.

BSoftPlayer supports as many tracks as you can throw at it (rock solid with 100,000 tracks).

I've come here because I believe that BSoftPlayer could one day become the ultimate HTPC media player. Much of the framework is already there, all that is needed is a full-screen frontend, some bugfixes, and tweaks.

The source is open, so feel free to start hacking if you want. You'll need DirectX 8 or better and Visual Basic 6.0 Learning, Professional, or Enterprise.

There is also an automated installer and binary if you don't have VB or don't want to modify the source. The player is fully functional, and the installer is only 500 kilobytes including the dependencies. You'll need DirectX 8 or better.

I'm looking for help with documentation as well as VB and SQL programming. If you have any spare time and would care to lend a hand, drop me an email at [email protected]

Thanks,

Brian

Check out BSoftPlayer project page

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"BSoft, when i try and run the app in vb, I am missing the ID3Com Library. Where can I get it?

Thanks

Andrew

"

Hmmmm...

I included the ic3com dll but perhaps it needs to be registered.

Try going to start > run and typing in "regsvr32 C:\\Program Files\\BSoftPlayer\\id3lib.dll"

I'll update the installer soon.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Brian-

If you need any SQL help, I'd be glad to help where I can. I've often thought that a SQL db backend would be a big plus for HTPCs. I'll D/L & check this out.

What are you using for the back end? MSDE2K?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just released a new version that fixes a number of bugs and adds a number of features.

Here are the new features:

- Shipped with correct ID3 DLL

- Fixed a bug that would cause the player to crash when clicking "next track"

- Added concept of "play modes" - when you select a track from "Browse by artist" or "Browse by Album", only tracks from that artist/album will be played

- New full screen mode for HTPC use. It uses Flash so you'll need the control (most of us already have it). The full screen mode works at any resolution and has a 1.77:1 aspect ratio. It assumes square pixels; not 1.77:1 resolutions will be appropriately letterboxed. Double click on the titlebar to bring it up, press escape to exit. Up and down navigate, enter selects. Unfortunately there is no way to go back currently. Some of the functionality does not work. Source code for the flash movie is included in both the binary and source distribution; feel free to modify it.

- Keyboard shortcuts (this was actually in the last release, too). Keyboard shortcuts are configurable from "Settings" in the browser. You can an action to most keys. Actions are accessed by pressing CTRL+ALT+Key. Actions work while BSoftPlayer is in the background as well as while in full screen mode.

Here are the default actions:

CTRL+ALT+P or CTRL+ALT+SPACEBAR = Play/Pause

CTRL+ALT+S = Stop

CTRL+ALT+RIGHT ARROW = Next track

CTRL+ALT+LEFT ARROW = Previous track

CTRL+ALT+UP ARROW = Volume up

CTRL+ALT+DOWN ARROW = Volume down

CTRL+ALT+1 through CTRL+ALT+0 = Set volume (1=10%, etc.)

CTRL+ALT+F = InstaFind (Brings up a window where you can type a title or artist to find a track; similar to Winamp's jump feature)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What are you using for the back end? MSDE2K?

Not exactly. It's a 300kb file-only SQL database called SQLite. It supports almost all of SQL92, but has no support for remote connections, permissions, or the like. It's also typeless. The good news is that it's just as fast if not faster than PostgreSQL or mySQL when doing the kind of queries I need it to do. Also, the database is stored in a single file.

I'm actually using a version of SQLite called AGS_SQLITE which has special functions that make it easer to use with VB.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.