AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my TV crapped out on me recently so I need to buy a TV ... funny timing is that I'm moving out of my parents place and move in my condo next month.. so I got no TV to move in with me so I'm buying one during black friday

I was checking through the forum for advices or comments on other discussion that doesn't seem to make get a quick and easy answer.

I'm somewhat a universal usage... I watch TV, Movies, NBA, Netflix and Gaming... I don't want a OLED, I currently have the original ps4 and i'm not planning to get ps5 till 2022 or 2023

it seem like TVs this year are a bit funky...that majority of them are leading on one thing like X900H good for gaming, X950H for movie/TV similar to Q80T and so on... it not one TV fit all

I was wondering if it wise to get a cheapest TV I can find and deal with it for now until next year line up? or is there a TV out there right now that is suitabe for my needs?

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
my TV crapped out on me recently so I need to buy a TV ... funny timing is that I'm moving out of my parents place and move in my condo next month.. so I got no TV to move in with me so I'm buying one during black friday

I was checking through the forum for advices or comments on other discussion that doesn't seem to make get a quick and easy answer.

I'm somewhat a universal usage... I watch TV, Movies, NBA, Netflix and Gaming... I don't want a OLED, I currently have the original ps4 and i'm not planning to get ps5 till 2022 or 2023

it seem like TVs this year are a bit funky...that majority of them are leading on one thing like X900H good for gaming, X950H for movie/TV similar to Q80T and so on... it not one TV fit all

I was wondering if it wise to get a cheapest TV I can find and deal with it for now until next year line up? or is there a TV out there right now that is suitabe for my needs?
There are many TVs suitable for your needs. It's all about budget.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are many TVs suitable for your needs. It's all about budget.
Under 2k canadian would be good

55-65" size probably suitable ... From condo layout ..said 10ft wall to wall so a foot off each side for tv and sitting on couch ... Probably 8' viewing distance

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Look into Sony 950H, TCL 6 or 8 series, or Hisense H9G.

Jack of all trades and exactly what you're looking for.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Look into Sony 950H, TCL 6 or 8 series, or Hisense H9G.

Jack of all trades and exactly what you're looking for.
Heard of x950 but aren't they tv/movie focus and x900h is gaming focus? ...it would be great if sony have a hybrid of the two

Will check tcl and hisense

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Heard of x950 but aren't they tv/movie focus and x900h is gaming focus? ...it would be great if sony have a hybrid of the two

Will check tcl and hisense
I wouldn't get hung up on that. The 950 is much better PQ overall than the 900. The HDMI "gaming" features are so overblown and pure marketing hype and fear of missing out. A 950 in "game mode" will be really nice.

Next gen consoles, the vast majority of games will still target and be limited to 4K/60 or even 4K/30 still, and very locked and stable frames. Making VRR and 120 so moot. I bet the games that use 120 will have reduced resolution and stripped texture and graphics; basically the word "hardcore gamer" gets overused but more applicable to PC on desktop monitors.

I wouldn't worry about it, plus on Sony TVs the auo picture mode detects consoles and correctly switches to Game/Graphics modes so you don't even need ALLM either...and Sony those modes still look as good as their movie modes unlike other brands.

Basically if it's budget, then the 900H is good, but if 950 is in your budget, I would still pick it due to better picture even as a gamer.

But on a budget, I think TCL and Hisense (2020 models) give you better bang for the buck than 900.

Reactions: Rpbb123

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wouldn't get hung up on that. The 950 is much better PQ overall than the 900. The HDMI "gaming" features are so overblown and pure marketing hype and fear of missing out. A 950 in "game mode" will be really nice.

Next gen consoles, the vast majority of games will still target and be limited to 4K/60 or even 4K/30 still, and very locked and stable frames. Making VRR and 120 so moot. I bet the games that use 120 will have reduced resolution and stripped texture and graphics; basically the word "hardcore gamer" gets overused but more applicable to PC on desktop monitors.

I wouldn't worry about it, plus on Sony TVs the auo picture mode detects consoles and correctly switches to Game/Graphics modes so you don't even need ALLM either...and Sony those modes still look as good as their movie modes unlike other brands.

Basically if it's budget, then the 900H is good, but if 950 is in your budget, I would still pick it due to better picture even as a gamer.

But on a budget, I think TCL and Hisense (2020 models) give you better bang for the buck than 900.
I'm surprised you said the gaming features are overblown ... So many people said it good to have a tv with Hdmi 2.1, 4k, 120hz, low input lag and vrr

How do you know ps5 games doesn't need those things?

·
Registered
247 Posts
I'm surprised you said the gaming features are overblown ... So many people said it good to have a tv with Hdmi 2.1, 4k, 120hz, low input lag and vrr

How do you know ps5 games doesn't need those things?
If I had to speculate it's because the Nvidia gpus that just came out won't push 4k/120 on existing games on the highest settings, and they are more powerful than the ps5 in theory.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts