AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The XG died today. Not sure of the root cause, but the end result is 3 ruined CRT with a squigly dot/line burn in the centers of each tube.

It still powers up and gives no code, but when you shut down the raster collapses and is ruining the tubes.

Anyway, since my starting point is about 2k just for new tubes, I'm calling it quits. I'm dusting off the 1270 and going with it until I settle on a digital. I was hoping this day would have been 3 years from now, but oh well.

Soooo, I sure would appreciate any input. I suppose the best thing to do is part it out. Or, if anyone is local to Northern Virginia let me know if you want to haul the carcass out of here.

It has two RGBHV cards and many other salvageable parts so reasonable offers please.

Ugggg. :(

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Clarence,

I'm still adjusting to the loss. It really does suck. I just got back from the digital forum, and I'm even more depressed. It's just not the time to invest in that technology, it's changing too fast.

I'm going to PM you....

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Last time I offered to part something out My thread got pulled !!!

That will be next

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Marc,

Sorry to hear this and its a hard hit I know. What led up to this? Did you see anything that would have indicated it was having a problem?

It should have shut its self down but its possible. I dread the though also. Doug

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by genmax
Hey Clarence,

I just got back from the digital forum, and I'm even more depressed. It's just not the time to invest in that technology, it's changing too fast.

I had a similiar thing happend on my old Barco 1208 I had though when it nuked itself it thankfully didn't take the tubes. I too looked at the digitals seriously for about 2 days but they didn't seem any less problematic than CRTs and so I came running back. Seriously if you are looking to spend only $500-2000 US CRTs are still the only game in town (especially if you are already experienced with them).

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Doug, I sent you a PM...

Exactly SecState. I came back to post about my frustration in looking for digitals and found your comments.

I've been lurking in the digital forums for some time, and I always audition a digital when I get the chance, but I can't find a solution. Not now at least. It really sucks cause the digital stuff keeps getting better, but since I consider anything bought today to be disposable I can only justify

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
I'm with Doug, I've never had a PG Xtra or XG EVER spot burn the tubes, let alone all three!

Depending on what you want to do, I've got some XG's here that just came in, (XG 852's) and I would be interested in taking yours on trade simply for the parts.

Let me know if I can help, and keep you in the CRT game..:)

Curt

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Since you have the Sony I would be patient and look for a bargain. The prices of CRTs are dropping/stable (depending on model and what segment of the market you are looking at). Since I still had a good set of tubes I started looking for a set with burned tubes for a good price. I found one about two hours away (Baltimore) on Ebay. The seller had had it up about 3 times. It was an 808 with "burned" tubes. The hours on the chassis were low (less than 4000) so I negotiated the price down a bit and went to pick it up. I get there and though the seller got some of the details wrong (it was a Barco 808 Data not Graphics) the "burned tubes" turned out to be a green with very light wear. I am still using that projector with the tubes that were in it when I got it (holding on to the others as spares). So good things can happen just be patient. Since you are in Northern VA you should find a fair amount within 0-3 hours of drive time (at least I did in my two searches).

My 1208 went south right after I got it on the ceiling and 200 hours after I put new VDC rebuilds in. BTW, I think VDC may sometimes cut a deal if you are buying all three tubes at least I have seen mention of that made here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.