AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

A sad farewell...anyone want my Replay?

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  dsmith901 
#1 ·
Well, I was one of the first. I got my Replay as a review unit back in 1999, when writing for a local magazine. My two-drive 24GB RTV2002 became an 80GB single drive unit just after Sept. 11, 2001. That little project provided a much needed distraction from the ugly world outside my Manhattan apartment. I maxed it out with a 160GB drive about a year ago (the poor old guy could only see 128GB, of course.) It has served me incredibly well and I while dearly miss the intuitive interface, my Comcast DVR with HD just blows it away in terms of video and audio quality. Once you get HDTV--with Dolby DD and all--you can't really ever look at SDTV via Replay again.

So it is with a heavy heart that I decided to sell my lifetime-serviced Replay TV 2002. And I'd much rather sell it to one of you guys at a steep discount than use eBay and give this gem to a stranger. If anyone has a reasonable offer, I'd love to send it off to someone who has helped me in the past. And everyone here has done that by virtue of being a member of this forum. PM me if you are interested.

I hope this post doesn't rub anyone the wrong way. I suppose there is a rule against such an offer, but i mean it, I'd love to sell it to someone here at great price. You name a reasonable one.

To all those who helped me get the most out of a great product: THANK YOU!

See less See more
#2 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by xwilliam
Well, I was one of the first. I got my Replay as a review unit back in 1999, when writing for a local magazine. My two-drive 24GB RTV2002 became an 80GB single drive unit just after Sept. 11, 2001. That little project provided a much needed distraction from the ugly world outside my Manhattan apartment. I maxed it out with a 160GB drive about a year ago (the poor old guy could only see 128GB, of course.) It has served me incredibly well and I while dearly miss the intuitive interface, my Comcast DVR with HD just blows it away in terms of video and audio quality. Once you get HDTV--with Dolby DD and all--you can't really ever look at SDTV via Replay again.

So it is with a heavy heart that I decided to sell my lifetime-serviced Replay TV 2002. And I'd much rather sell it to one of you guys at a steep discount than use eBay and give this gem to a stranger. If anyone has a reasonable offer, I'd love to send it off to someone who has helped me in the past. And everyone here has done that by virtue of being a member of this forum. PM me if you are interested.

I hope this post doesn't rub anyone the wrong way. I suppose there is a rule against such an offer, but i mean it, I'd love to sell it to someone here at great price. You name a reasonable one.

To all those who helped me get the most out of a great product: THANK YOU!
You may want to slow down there and reconsider. I too have Comcast HD DVR (Motorola 6412) and love its PQ and digital sound on my 42" plasma. But my local Comcast still carries many analog and SD programs that I watch and the 6412 does not record them nearly as well as my Replay or my Panasonic E80H. I split my cable feed so that all three recorders can use their own tuners. The Replay and E80H not only record analog programs in a higher quality than the 6412, but they also gives me tremendous flexibility in recording programs that air simultaneously. And since the 6412 sometimes suffers digital signal ananomolies that make it unusable for a while, having the Replay and E80H as backups is a real blessing. So until Comcast goes 100% digital these old analog recorders will still have a lot of merit.

#3 ·
Good points. Are you using a second cable box? Unfortunately, in my area (Boston) if I don't get a box, I only receive the most basic of channels. I hate to spend the extra monthly $$$ on another cable box. My DVR box is dual tuner so I suppose I could somehow rig it up so that I utilize one of the tuners in the cable box for the replay. Hmmmm.

The other issue is the phone line requirement of the RTV2k. I got rid of my landline for a Vonage line. I haven't yet tried to update Replay via this connection. I hear some folks have had problems.

On an unrelated note, do you notice that the DVR in the Moto box is sometimes completely unrespoonsive for a few seconds? PITA. I wish I had a ReplayTV built into the box instead!

#4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith901
You may want to slow down there and reconsider. I too have Comcast HD DVR (Motorola 6412) and love its PQ and digital sound on my 42" plasma. But my local Comcast still carries many analog and SD programs that I watch and the 6412 does not record them nearly as well as my Replay or my Panasonic E80H. ...
Plus, are you realy sure that you want to get rid of one of the original 4 RTV models released by ReplayTV? Just think, you'll be getting rid of one of the very few RTV's ever built that had those nifty IEEE-1394 FireWire conversation/curio plugs. ;) And who could forget that hideous remote control with the gigantic nubmer keys which were actually shaped like the numbers?

#5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by rm -rf *.*
And who could forget that hideous remote control with the gigantic nubmer keys which were actually shaped like the numbers?
Actually, the marketing team figured that anyone watching so much tv as to need a replay was probably as blind as a bat. So they tailored the remote for easy operation.... :D

#6 ·
Quote:
The other issue is the phone line requirement of the RTV2k. I got rid of my landline for a Vonage line. I haven't yet tried to update Replay via this connection. I hear some folks have had problems.
as a data point: my mom has her handy dandy old showstopper connecting over vonage in central florida at 28.8 for the last month. I don't remember if she bumped it up to 33.6 or not. She's using the linksys router/TA

#7 ·
Quote:
On an unrelated note, do you notice that the DVR in the Moto box is sometimes completely unrespoonsive for a few seconds? PITA. I wish I had a ReplayTV built into the box instead!
Yeah, that can be annoying, especially when you try hitting several buttons to get a response and then it suddenly executes all of the commands in rapid succession. Maybe its short on RAM? Anyway, Comcast has a big contract with Panasonic to make their next generation of HD DVRs, so maybe that will bring about some improvements. As for the basic only channels without a STB, assuming that includes the major networks that is where the Replay will do better than a STB. As for the phone line thing I don't know a way around that, other than setting recordings manually like a VCR, which I have done a few times. But the Replay guide was one of the best features, so without that you may as well sell and get a DVD recorder that you can hook up to the 6412 S-video output for archiving. I have a Panasonic E80H and it can copy a HD program off the 6412 with outstanding quality results, then burn to a DVD-R.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.