AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm switching from Charter Communications cable to either DirecTv or Dishnetwork in order to receive HDTV for my NEC LT100 DLP pj. I would like to go the DirecTv way simply because of the choices for equiptment; however, I don't see them moving into the HDTV recording dept. any time soon.

Is it a safe bet to get a DirecTv receiver with a DVI output and assume that recorders will eventually accept this signal-- or -- will companies creating DirecTv receivers come out with something like the DishNetwork 921 pvr?

Or should I get a DN 6000u and hold out for the 921pvr with DishNetwork??

Wow!! It is unbelievable how many different formats and signals there are these days.... When will it all make sense?? :)

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
Don't expect any consumer-level recording options for DVI anytime soon--given the huge data rate, you'd need a recorder capable of real-time HD encoding, and such boxes are currently very expensive and likely to remain so.

FWIW, TiVo and Hughes hastily introduced an HD DirecTiVo at this last CES to steal some of the thunder from the Dish 921...although there are few concrete details, they are shooting for a late 2003 release date, but take that with a grain of salt. Unless Dish drops the ball, the 921 should be first to market. As a former Dish PVR customer, now with DirecTV and DirecTiVo, I'm waiting for the HD DirecTiVo.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.