AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Twas 4:30 p.m. on Saturday before the Super Big Game and everyone was scurrying about for the party the next day;

When all of sudden the bulb BLEW sky high while watching a movie-- in the blink of an eye;

Panic ensued because the one service center for all of Houston was closed and we did not have a spare bulb under our nose;

What to do what to do we all shouted yesterday when my wife called our Tweeter rep 300 miles away( a different tale for a different sale);

He acted bravely and strong as he heard us moan and groan

He called all the Tweeters in Houston by telephone;

One had a bulb in a 507 floor model TV and the store manager gave it to us graciously for free;

I love Tweeters and will never forget that they acted above and beyond their duties and yet;

The moral of this tale boys and girls you should know by now. Have a spare bulb in the house to keep your spouse from having a cow;

There's much more to this story about bulb housings and such, but that's a different rhyme for a different time thank you so much.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
What a story, all full of mirth.

Makes one realize what it is worth

to have spare bulbs on hand at times

when you'd rather not be thinking of rhymes.

I am glad to hear

Tweeter restored your cheer.

But,

due to many super bores of the past,

we all know right now it remains to be seen

whether the Panthers defense can last

or if the Patriots won't shine despite a new lamp.

Perhaps you may wind up screaming with cramp

and just throw the dip bowl at the big screen.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I had my HLN567W for less than a week when my wife called me while I was out of town saying "this d*mn thing won't turn on!" -- she relayed to me the story and, low and behold, we had the infamous three blinking lights problem. (She had even read the user's guide to determine we had a bad bulb - which is amzing in and of itself!)

After trying hard resets, changing inputs, etc. and nothing was working - she called our tweeter rep and they told her a service person would call back within 24 hours to arrange a service call or replace the set, our choice. They called back and made arrangements to replace the set in about 5 days.

I returned home and pulled out the manual and went through the process of taking the bulb unit out. Visual inspection revealed mine was not blown so I slid it back in the unit, replaced the access door, and "Voila" - it works fine now and we haven't had any more issues with it for the last two weeks. When Tweeter called to arrange the swap, I told them to hold off, we appeared to be fine now.

We're keeping our fingers crossed that it was simply an issue of the bulb unit working itself free during the delivery, setup, etc. It was nice to know, however, that Tweeter would have replaced the set, no questions asked. Maybe we just got lucky but my dealings with these guys over the years for various A/V equipment (around $12K of stuff) has been well worth the very small, if any, price premium when buying from them.

They also made a note for their service techs to try what I tried when dealing with the three blinking lights in the future.

BTW: People cannot believe the awesome PQ of this set. I'm not as awed by the HD931 -> DVI PQ vs. my Tosh 5700 -> Component PQ (both look great to me but I need to fine tune my DVI picture settings more, like I've already done for Comp3) but HDTV via TWC Pio 3510, and even SDTV, is just amazing! Plus, the Samsung stand really completes the experience.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ericwe

BTW: People cannot believe the awesome PQ of this set. I'm not as awed by the HD931 -> DVI PQ vs. my Tosh 5700 -> Component PQ (both look great to me but I need to fine tune my DVI picture settings more, like I've already done for Comp3) but HDTV via TWC Pio 3510, and even SDTV, is just amazing! Plus, the Samsung stand really completes the experience.

Eric,

What have you noticed via the DVI port. With the 931 connected Isaw LORTT and it looked damn green. component looked fine. What did you notice and what will you be tweaking for?

P.S. Getting my 43" Sammy delivered this week and a little worried about the DVI quality. Sorry this post doesn't fit the bulb issue .

Jack

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hey Jack,

I've got a HLN4365W and my set looks great with the 931 through the DVI connection. I don't have any green push as some do. I would think this is dependent on individual set configurations. Two of the same unit exhibiting different characteristics. Just thought I would pass this info to you so you are a little more comfortable. You have plenty of User Menu adjustments available. I've been in my Service Menu to document all the original settings and to see what firmware my set has. I haven't tweaked in the SM yet and I may not. If I do, I'll either have an IFC do it or rent the equipment to do it myself. That all winds up at $300 or more for whatever gain you get from it. Enjoy your new set.

Don

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Yep, like my thread said, stock up on a bulb now, it might save you at the worst possible time, glad your Tweeter rep came through.

Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.