AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use my first generation Mitsu 65 primarily for DVD, and I would love to hook up a progressive scan player. But if I do, I have to change the entire digital input to accept only 480p.

Is there a reasonably priced scaler that will accept the 480p from the progressive scan DVD player and wiil also downconvert my 1080i HD signals to 480p? This will save me from having to upgrade to a new TV for a long time.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I assume one or more of the high-end scalers can do this, but why would you want to?

Why not scale DVD up to 1080i instead? (Or 720p, or whatever you're running at the moment.) There are lots of scalers that will do that, even quite inexpensive ones.

- David Eddy

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What a good idea; recommend one or two please! Thanks.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hmm, I should leave this to more experienced people.

A quick web search showed lots of scalers that output 720p (i.e. 1280x720) resolution from a 480i or 576i input source. One example is the Quadscan Elite HD; there are lots of others.

However I may have spoken too soon about 1080i. I could not find any sub-$4000 scaler that does this. I assumed it would be a common output, but in fact almost all scalers only output progressive video, and most 'HD' scalers output either 720p or 1080p.

Anyone know for sure?

- David Eddy

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
>>> have to change the entire digital input to accept only 480p.

Is this really necessary? If the TV accepts both 1080i and 480p, why not feed both kinds of signals in unaltered? A/V receivers have no problem switching 480p some of the time and 1080i the rest of the time. (The receiver's video bandwidth may compromise th 1080i video but converting to 480p will compromise it even more.)

Scaling 480p to 1080i (540p) or vice versa creates some artifacts, since scan lines here and there have to be dropped, added, or blended.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.