AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another thread had a question about whether the 6000 can upconvert the spatial part of a 720p signal to 1080i (the answer is yes).

Here are some example images of what native 1080 looks like compared with upconverted 720. Since these are static images, I am assuming that both are full frame (of course 1080i is really interlaced temporally).

The first image is a cropped section, approx 600x700 pixels, of a sharp 1080x1920 digital image. (Although final images were saved as compressed JPEG files to save bandwidth, all manipulation was done in lossless format):

1080 Native Image (cropped section)

The second image should represent a worst case 720 upconversion to 1080. The first image, above, has been downconverted to 720, THEN upconverted back to 1080. Both processes were done with a decent anti-aliasing function in an image editor. The 6000 only has to perform the latter, though. I also did not do any sharpening or edge enhancement following the conversions, though this may improve the image:

720 Image Upconverted to 1080

The differences in the two images are noticeable, but not spectacular. Remember, these are cropped sections (about 20%) of the entire 16:9 frame, and unlike these views on your computer monitor, each pixel is probably not resolveable on most HDTV sets.

Bottomline: no surprises.

~~Gerald C

·
Registered
271 Posts
Cool, Its hard to see any artifacts caused by upconversion with your image. Its easy to see the increase in quality of the 1080 image on the yellow donut things hanging form the side of the large craft.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.