Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me pose a question to you all:

What is the single most element that provides you the upmost pleasure from your personal home theater arrangement.

Is is the diverse surround imaging? Or perhaps the visual display on your screen? Is it the sense of escape you may feel within your domain?

Just curious as to what draws you into your passion.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Not to sound too anti-social..but...privacy is so attractive...that's at least part of it for me.

Nowadays I rarely go to the theaters anymore...people just seem to have become more and more rude. They talk ALL the time...it's rediculous.

When I watch a movie, I want to be absorbed into the story. So in order to enjoy movies, I guess I have built my lil HT as my haven from the theaters.

I can't wait to one day build one as I have seen many of you do, a dedicated room to it. I have the image in my mind, but not the douch in my wallet! ;) One day though! :)

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
The image on the screen!!!! And 2001: a space odyssey.

Nicholas

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
I would place it in this order:

1 - size of the image

2 - quality of the image

3 - rockin speakers

4 - tactile transducers

5 - the darkness of the room

6 - the privacy of my room

7 - the lack of sticky floors and popcorn falling down my back

8 - the happy faces of friends after watching a killer movie that just moves them!

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
Being a lover of Overkill and such, I love the feeling of sitting down, looking in any direction and seeing such an enormity of equipment. Much like sitting in a Lambourghini would give you the sense of power even if you were just cruising at 45 mph down the road. I can get this sensation even when the system is off.

Once it is on, I would have to say that I don't really see the system as much as find that it disappears and all I am left with is the movie (or the music).

I have a feeling that when my Odyssee motion simulator comes in Wednesday, my opinions may change a bit...

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
Scott,

I will have another AVS get together on January 18th, which is a Saturday. Come on down! Last time, I think I had 7 people here. I am hoping for more this time.

As for the Odyssee, yes I am getting one. In fact, I am getting an XL, which has 40% more throw distance than the original unit. I will be finishing up a temporary platform tonight and that should be in use until I get my home theater built and some Berkline recliners (or other brand if I change my mind by then). The final platform will be a welded aluminum frame with plywood covering and carpet on top.

I would recommend trying to get to this meeting, as there is still a good chance that the IRS V will be sold soon and I doubt that I will ever be able to get a speaker array to replace them that is as impressive as what I currently have. This may be the best it ever will sound.

I anticipate a very big crowd for this next event, possibly the biggest turnout yet. It would be nice to have some out-of-towners.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
I will mark my calendar, actually my Palm Pilot. Let me know as we get closer, the details. Also, I will be at CES in Vegas the weekend before, so I will be bringing fresh memories of techno-overload with me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.