AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I just got my new reciever running last night and looks great. I just have one slight problem. When I am looking at HBO-HD or the demo loop it is in the proper widescreen format but when I look to the other channels I get it formatted for 4x3. I have it set in 16x9 and running through the component inputs.

Now I can stretch the signal and the 4x3 channels are now full screen but my HD content is bigger than the screen... ie i dont see some of the outside edges like its zoomed in but when I put it back in normal mode everything looks right on HD but the analog are back in 4x3. Is there somehting I can do to fix this problem? Its not a huge problem but is an annoyance just the same.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Why would you want 4:3 AR content to fill your screen? If the content is 4:3 then it's not HD, so it has to be displayed with bars on the sides. I don't see the problem.

------------------

Vic Ruiz
STOP HDCP/DFAST/5C

·
Registered
842 Posts
Get use to the * button. You want to watch all HD stuff in normal but you have to switch to stretch on sd stuff.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vruiz:
Why would you want 4:3 AR content to fill your screen? If the content is 4:3 then it's not HD, so it has to be displayed with bars on the sides. I don't see the problem.

Because he does not want to burn in his widescreen tv.

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am asking this because my Dish 500 system was automatically able to expand the analog stuff to widescreen and I was wondering if the 6000 was able to do the same w/o me switching with the * button.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Give me a break! Burn-in is overrated paranoia. Calibrate your TV with Avia, rotate your 4:3 and 16:9 viewing and you have nothing to worry about. I've had my TV for more than two years and there's no sign of burn-in at all, and the TV stays on at least 12 hours a day.

If, on the other hand, you keep your TV in torch mode and watch only one type of sources, then you deserve what you get.

------------------

Vic Ruiz
STOP HDCP/DFAST/5C

·
Registered
475 Posts
Quote:
You can hook up an s-video cable from the 6000 to your TV and switch between SD/HD on the 6000. Leave the 6000 set to "normal" and HD will look correct when in HD mode and SD will be stretched/zoomed by your TV when in SD mode.
That's the way I do mine - I like the way my Mits handles SD in what it calls "Stretched" mode (it's stretches the edges more than the center, so there's not as much image distortion to the eye). I also prefer watching SD stuff in 480i rather than upconverted, I don't know why, but it looks better to me. But like you said, it's a personal preference.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I generally watch SD programming via S video, HD via component. IMO when you upconvert the 480i to 1080i it looks too soft and the color seems off. Maybe someone can answer this for me: Does the color seem wong on the NTSC programming being upconverted because it is going thru the ATSC inputs? Isn't there a color difference between the two?

This is on a Mits55809.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
jagouar,

I'm going to make a couple of assumptions here so please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm guessing that you have your 6000 connected to your TV via component cables, and you are watching all of your programming in HD mode. (blue light "on" on 6000) You have the 6000 set to "Normal" mode. Your TV (like most) will not adjust the aspect ratio on any signal received via the component input.

O.K., so what do you do?

You can continue with the same setup and use the "*" button to switch modes depending on your source. (i.e. "normal" for HD material and black/gray bars or stretch/zoom for 4:3)

You can hook up an s-video cable from the 6000 to your TV and switch between SD/HD on the 6000. Leave the 6000 set to "normal" and HD will look correct when in HD mode and SD will be stretched/zoomed by your TV when in SD mode.

With option two the 6000 will not upconvert your SD source material to 1080i. This may or may not be an issue for you.

Myself? I leave my 6000 in HD mode and use the "*" button to switch modes, but I think it's really a personal choice.

Chip

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yes all those assumptions are corret. I was just trying to see if there was a way to have the system convert the analog stuff to widescreen.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.