AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My setup is a G11 driven by a HTPC using Powerstrip3 and the GF2 MX video card.

For many months I've been watching DVDs by using the preset DILA custom resolutions available in Powerstrip. 1360 x 1024, 1360 x 768, 1360 x 580.

I've always thought the image in these resolutions was a bit fuzzy. My focus and pixel clock settings are right where they need to be, me thinks(T = 24, P = -13), so fuzzy that just today, I made an arrangement with Oscar in Detroit to modify my cards RFI filters(which I will still do).

Thanks to a few recent comments made by Dave T about a 75

Hz refresh and the ever persistent Bernd in his quest for the magic powers of RESIZE, I decided to play a bit with timings.

Here's what I found:

There are a multidude of variables so I'll use what I think most of you use, 1360 x 768 on SXGA3.

Warm your DILA up(not hard in my neck of the woods)and make sure your tracking, phase and focus are correctly set. Go to the perfect timing for 1360 x 768 as set forth by Pstrip. You should see a Refresh rate of 71.997, a Pixel clock of 139.202 and a Scan rate of 76.317.

The "Advanced Timings Options" window should be such that you can still see your desktop icons.

Now, using just the "Refresh rate" up and down arrows, try going one direction or the other while watching an icon text on your desktop. Notice the clarity of the text compared to the number. You should find that the text becomes fuzzy then clearer about every 2 Hz.

Here's where mine was clearer:

Then I skipped to:

Then:

At 71.977 my text was NOT clear at all.

All of the above refresh rates gave me a MUCH clearer image than 71.977. If you try this a few times, you'll see what I mean.

Here's the real important part of what I found:

Using anything less than 73.044, my DILA won't sync to SXGA3 like I want it to. The lower the refresh, the lower the SXGA. 73.044 was where it had to be to get a SXGA3 Auto sync everytime. Me, I like to go to SXGA3 everytime I switch to a higher resolution for DVD viewing.

Be careful, anything over 76 Hz will flip out your image, so keep your pointer steady if you need to go back down a bit.

The neat thing is that if you change the refresh rate in Pstrip and click apply, it will save the setting, so everytime you go to 1360 x 768, it'll come up proper to what you've set it at. I use a desktop Powerstrip icon hotkey that enables me to switch from 640 x 480 to 1360 x 768 very quickly. The 1360 x 768 res. is actually a part of my Dilard "Play Movie" macro. So Cool. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Try it and please post some results.

Chris

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Thanks for the info. I may try it when I get my other kinks worked out. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

I really need to work on the color settings of my machine.

Cameron

------------------

-- Well I have really blown my budget now. --

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"refresh rates are now integers only."

Karos, are you saying that you can't adjust your refresh with build 143? I'm using 115 still.

Chris

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.