AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have DISH with a 622 DVR and locals using antenna. My digital CC works great on the HDTV. TV2 in the bedroom is an GE big screen about 10 years old. The analog CC works good using the CC on that TV. Programs recorded OTA pass along the analog CC except for my ABC affiliate, WQAD ch 8.1. While watching LOST I had the bedroom TV hooked up to a convertor box with its own antenna. The CC was displayed properly. After the show, I watched the DVR recording of LOST on TV2 in the bedroom. No CC. The digital captions on the recorded program were present on TV1, the HDTV. Programs recorded from Ch6 display CC on both TV1 & TV2. I next taped the local news from Ch6 & Ch8. Ch6 CC ok. Ch8 CC not displayed. I next tried another TV set on TV2. Results were the same, NG.

I have a call into the engineer at WQAD. I think he is checking some things. I hesitate to call DISH just yet.

Does anyone have any ideas that I might try?

·
Registered
80 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spokybob /forum/post/18295569

While watching LOST I had the bedroom TV hooked up to a convertor box with its own antenna. The CC was displayed properly. After the show, I watched the DVR recording of LOST on TV2 in the bedroom. No CC. The digital captions on the recorded program were present on TV1, the HDTV.

Bob,

If it works over the air on the STB, and does not work on the Dish box, Why would you hesitate on calling Dish?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Because CC works fine on all OTA except one. I know DISH will say it is the station, not their DVR. I just hope someone here has had a similar problem.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou! /forum/post/18298525

Bob,

If it works over the air on the STB, and does not work on the Dish box, Why would you hesitate on calling Dish?

Here you go.

Please wait while we find a representative to assist you. In order to ensure we are providing you with the highest level of customer satisfaction, this conversation will be recorded.

Thank you for being a valued DISH Network customer, I will be happy to assist you today. Please give me a moment to access your account and review the information you have already provided.

robert vaughn: hello

(04-03-23rf) Karen A. LJ0: I'd be happy to assist you with that.

(04-03-23rf) Karen A. LJ0: Hello

robert vaughn: When viewing a recorded program, the closed captioning is missing at times.

(04-03-23rf) Karen A. LJ0: I'm very sorry to hear that you are having an issue. I'd be happy to resolve that for you.

(04-03-23rf) Karen A. LJ0: And, this is on TV2? or TV1?

robert vaughn: tv2

(04-03-23rf) Karen A. LJ0: ok

(04-03-23rf) Karen A. LJ0: Closed Captioning through the receiver is only displayed on TV1. To display Closed Captioning on TV2, Closed Captioning must be enabled through the TV itself.

(04-03-23rf) Karen A. LJ0: i would contact the TV manufacturer, what kind of TV do you have, I can look up the number for you?

robert vaughn: Yes. I have CC enabled on TV2. It a;lways works fine when viewing live

(04-03-23rf) Karen A. LJ0: ok

(04-03-23rf) Karen A. LJ0: Again the closed captioning doesn't display through the receiver on TV2.

(04-03-23rf) Karen A. LJ0: There is no troubleshooting we can do on our equipment to get this working

(04-03-23rf) Karen A. LJ0: what kind of TV do you have, I can look up the number for you to call the manufacturer?

robert vaughn: I'm sorry. You are not familiar with CC are you?

(04-03-23rf) Karen A. LJ0: Yes

(04-03-23rf) Karen A. LJ0: the closed captioning doesn't display through the receiver on TV2.

(04-03-23rf) Karen A. LJ0: It is a TV feature, not a dishnetwork receiver feature on TV2.

robert vaughn: Yes. It passes the CC info to my TV. My tv displays it. I understand this. But if the info is not present it is not the fault of the tv

(04-03-23rf) Karen A. LJ0: It is the TV feature on TV2

(04-03-23rf) Karen A. LJ0: On TV1 the TV passes the closed captioning to display through the receiver

(04-03-23rf) Karen A. LJ0: I apologize, since this a non-disnetwork issue, I am unable to assist you further. Is there anything else I can do for youtoday?

robert vaughn: ??

(04-03-23rf) Karen A. LJ0: It is the TV feature on TV2

robert vaughn: You do not understand my problem. Can you pass me to someone else?

(04-03-23rf) Karen A. LJ0: I do understand, but the receiver does not support closed captioning on TV2, there is no agent that can assist you with a manufacturers feature.

(04-03-23rf) Karen A. LJ0: I would be happy to get you the manufactureres number to call to resolve this for you.

robert vaughn: You are so wrong. I watch tv2 with closed captioning all the time. It only fails when watching a recorded program.

(04-03-23rf) Karen A. LJ0: That is because the receiver doesn't support it on TV2, since the event is recorded to the dvr, it won't display onto TV2

(04-03-23rf) Karen A. LJ0: the only thing that may resolve this is changing a setting on your tv.

(04-03-23rf) Karen A. LJ0: Since you have indicated that there is nothing more that I can assist you with, I will now be ending this chat session. Thank you for being a DISH Network customer, have a great day!

Thank you for visiting Dish Network. You may now close this window.

Your session has ended. You may now close this window.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My calls to WQAD & DISH did not produce any solutions, BUT my analog closed captioning is now working on TV2. I emailed the station engineer with the good news. No reply.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts