AVS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Actually I am using a integer Research RDA 7.1 muti-ch power amp ! And it's already 7 years old ! And I am thinking to sell it and replace with Denon POA-A1HD ! Is it a good idea ? Hope someone can help !

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by the rick /forum/post/0

many people have power amps that are 20-40 years old and still work just fine

O ! Really ? So I can still keep it until it's broken ? And how can a power amp to use such a long time !? The capacitor inside will not use off ?

·
Registered
6,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangcoma /forum/post/20876081

The capacitor inside will not use off ?

It seems capacitors were made better in the old days.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Funny you say that Cavu. I have heard modern caps are supposed to be better. But better may not mean better durability.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu /forum/post/0

It seems capacitors were made better in the old days.

So when I know it time to change my power amp ? Any thing that it will show when it almost finish ?

·
Registered
18,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangcoma /forum/post/20876289

So when I know it time to change my power amp ? Any thing that it will show when it almost finish ?

One sign of bad caps is a hum in the amp (assuming you had no hum before, from a ground loop.)

·
Registered
592 Posts
I've been using a stereo Crown power amp since 1977 and an Apt-Holman preamp since 1980. The preamp was repaired sometime in the early 90's. The Crown has NEVER needed service. Both were manufactured in the USA, back in the days when the USA still had manufacturing.

Incidentally, I also still have a Sony CRT TV that I bought around 1986 and also still working perfectly (sometimes I wish it would die, so I'd have an excuse to buy another flat screen). It was repaired once in the 1990s. It was made either in Japan or the U.S.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/0

One sign of bad caps is a hum in the amp (assuming you had no hum before, from a ground loop.)

U mean there will have a hum sound coming from the amp itself ? Or from the speaker ? Thx !

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A /forum/post/0

Built in 93. I got them from the original owner who was a former VP at Threshold about 8 yrs. ago.

Wow ! That's a long time ! And how often u use it a day ? I mean how many hours u turn it on a day ?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb /forum/post/0

I've been using a stereo Crown power amp since 1977 and an Apt-Holman preamp since 1980. The preamp was repaired sometime in the early 90's. The Crown has NEVER needed service. Both were manufactured in the USA, back in the days when the USA still had manufacturing.

Incidentally, I also still have a Sony CRT TV that I bought around 1986 and also still working perfectly (sometimes I wish it would die, so I'd have an excuse to buy another flat screen). It was repaired once in the 1990s. It was made either in Japan or the U.S.

Wow ! U are very unlucky with your TV ! So your power amp is used for over 30years and it's still working perfectly now ?

·
Registered
28,560 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangcoma /forum/post/20879323

Wow ! U are very unlucky with your TV ! So your power amp is used for over 30years and it's still working perfectly now ?

Your amp will last a very long time if you don't abuse it. I've got an AKAI integrated amp that I bought in 1981 and it still works. My friend has been using it for the last five years.

what's so unlucky about his TV? Its been working for 25 years.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/0

Your amp will last a very long time if you don't abuse it. I've got an AKAI integrated amp that I bought in 1981 and it still works. My friend has been using it for the last five years.

what's so unlucky about his TV? Its been working for 25 years.

O ! That why I am no need to worry about my power amp !

The unlucky with his TV is because he want to buy a flat screen , but due to the tV is still working , so he can not buy a new one ! ^^

·
Registered
4,283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangcoma /forum/post/20879319

Wow ! That's a long time ! And how often u use it a day ? I mean how many hours u turn it on a day ?

Every day when I come home from work thay go on till I go to sleep. I'd say 2-6 hrs. Most of the time it's music. They do suck up a lot of current being 3 of the 4 amps are pure class a designs. It adds about $30-$40 a month on the electric bills. Al Gore says I'm the reason for Global warming.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts