AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When using loudspeakers and you play them at low volume should you still get a full sound or must the volume be at least midway?

I just got Avr4308ci driving Dali suite 2.8 in the fronts. Unless I put volume high I dont get a full sound and at high volume this receiver is very bright almost harsh. Not too pleasent.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
Depends on the speaker, but your certainly not the first to have this happen. I'd think a nice two channel amp may be in order here.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
Yes, more power, better power.

If you really like the speakers? This is probably going to make you happier with it.

In other words, it most likely would solve the fact that you feel the AVR is bright, harsh, compressing, and even probably clipping a little too.

It's a pretty common thing your havng happening there, and one of the popular solutions is to move to external power amps.

·
Banned
1,803 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008xle /forum/post/12848585

but is not the Amp for power? or for something else also?

Should I get monitor speakers?

Well, you have a fairly good receiver and some outstanding speakers. The first thing I would look at is: are the jumpers in place on the back (assuming you haven't bi-wired them)

The second thing I would look at is the room. It seems that you are unhappy regardless of the volume. Those speakers should sing. If they are harsh then its a very real possibility that your room reflections are the culprit.

Lastly, those are 4ohm speakers so they will take a lot of power to drive them, hence JohnnDenver's response about an amplifier. It could be that at high volume there is just not enough power in the Denon to drive them sufficiently. But this would not explain your displeasure at low volume.

I would look at the room.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
Not that I have experience with these speakers, but I have seen many speakers that require a lot of power / volume to sound good. Some of the finest highest regarded speakers at that.

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
Denon and 4 ohm may not be a good match. Not for my Denon anyway. External amps make a world of difference on my Klipsch speakers.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I have used these speakers with Arcam300 and have always been very pleased with the sound. I probably do need a separate Amp. But with the Arcam at high volume it was still pleasent to hear. Reason i got new receiver is because i wanted hdmi conectivity.

a 2000 dollar receiver and when I hear it in stead of wanting to hear more I feel a have to turn it down. I am frustrated about it. I can not yet afford separates so I invested on what was supposed to be a great receiver.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I have used these speakers with Arcam300 and have always been very pleased with the sound. I probably do need a separate Amp. But with the Arcam at high volume it was still pleasent to hear. Reason i got new receiver is because i wanted hdmi conectivity.

a 2000 dollar receiver and when I hear it in stead of wanting to hear more I feel a have to turn it down. I am frustrated about it. I can not yet afford separates so I invested on what was supposed to be a great receiver.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
You should be able to find a good 2 channel amp for not to much money. I would of said a head of time that the Denon was a substantial step down from the ARCAM.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Part of low volume sound not sounding as good is human hearing. Yamaha used to have a loudness control which was supposed to compensate, but I never liked it.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
Some people are going to dawg me here I am sure of it.

The Arcam is a high end, non mass produced, highly regarded piece.

To go to a mass produced piece, you have to go big to match it.

Denon 48xx series is not going to do this. maybe the 58xx series stuff.

In the Marantz I don't even think my beloved SR7001 would match it on internal power amps. The SR8001 probably comes close.

Really hard to say, your not dealing with apples to apples here, once you go from the likes of a NAD or ARCAM to any of the mass produced stuff.

External power amps are definetly a way to more even things up, but your probably not going to get out of a Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, Pioneer, Marantz what you are going to get out of a NAD or an ARCAM or a "insert your favorite company here".

·
Banned
1,803 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008xle /forum/post/12849096

What's interesting here is that you used these speakers wiith your Arcam and liked them. And then the only thing you changed was your receiver. And then you post and ask a question about what's wrong. Is it just me or does anybody else see a problem here? Duh. If the only thing you changed was the receiver I wonder what the problem is

You should have looked into it before you bought. Denon does not do well with 4ohm speakers at loud volumes. I had a 3806 and my Vandersteen 6ohm speakers didn't like it. Return it and buy something rated for 4ohm speakers.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
see atdamico I hope you feel better after insulting people.

Since you have so much knowledge about what i should have done and what I should have gotten you could have taken the opportunity to share that knowledge or even be wiser and stay silent... but I understand some people need punching bags to release their frustrations.

·
Banned
1,803 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008xle /forum/post/12850294

see atdamico I hope you feel better after insulting people.

Since you have so much knowledge about what i should have done and what I should have gotten you could have taken the opportunity to share that knowledge or even be wiser and stay silent... but I understand some people need punching bags to release their frustrations.

So, exactly where in my post did I insult you?

But come to think of it, it was you that said it was a stupid question

1 - 16 of 16 Posts