AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys

Got a question someone out there may be able to answer. I have two Subs (the same model) one was purchased in 2011, the other two years later in 2013 from the same maker. See specs for both drivers below.

2011 model 18inch driver

Weight:approx 90lbs

12 spokes

Triple stacked magnet

30mm max excursion

2013 model 18inch driver

Weight:approx 60lbs

10 spokes

Triple stacked magnet but only two thirds the size/circumference of the 2011 driver.

30mm max excursion

My question is. Given only this information could you conclude that the heavier drivers performance would be better when played at higher volumes? Would the heavier driver be more likely to go louder or be less distorted at louder listening levels? Does weight or size of magnets give any indication of performance ability?

I haven't noticed any difference at all in performance between the two but I've never been able to really test things out. I have an option to buy another 2011 model and would buy it if I knew the heavier driver was better (and sell the 2013 which Ive not been unhappy with I might add). My gut feeling says it would be. Anyone got any experience with this dilemma. How can I test the limits of these drivers without pissing off the neighbours?

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
I can’t say what the case is with your decision, but I would imagine they are moving forward and not digressing, but then I can’t say?? Bottom line is the magnet can work against you or a help depending on the design . Sometimes it’s nothing more than a marketing scheme that has to be overcome with other parameters and sometimes not? A big magnet can be like a catch 22 depending...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.