AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
The Village Idiot
9,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering a few different subs for my living room HT setup. I currently have an Infinity PS212 and like it - but it could have a bit more punch for movies. For music it performs quite well - at least IMO. Having played bass guitar in my youth I know what it's supposed to sound like - and the PS212 does it well.

I'm considering the JBL L8400 Studio series - and the Infinity SW12 with the RABOS system. I'd have to 'tune' it either with the Infinity RABOS equipment or with an SPL meter step by step. Tedious but probably a better tune than the RABOS kit. I can get either of those for $400 and under.

So - those are the two contenders - along with considering the Elemental Designs A2 250 - but if the consensus is if the ED sub is better for the $100 or so more I may go for it. $500 is my absolute max.

Would I be best off with another PS212? They are available.

Of utmost importance is music - yeah I love HT movie booms and rumblings and I'd like more than the PS212 is currently dishing out - but I also want a well defined musical sub.

Suggestions?

Be back in about 6 hours - time for a round of golf with several friends.

Oh, and a few beers.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Well, there are those who would say that if you would like to do multiple subs, your best bet is to add an identical sub as it makes level matching and eq'ing easier. The best this can do though is increase your SPL by about 6db's by stacking the subs. The two subs will not play any lower than having one.

There are others who would say that you can mix and match, as the main goal is to just even out in-room response and eliminate nulls. Except with this setup you are sort of limited by your weakest performing sub.

There are others finally who would say to by the best single subwoofer you can now and then in the future when you can afford it by another identical "higher-end" subwoofer. This gives the benefit of a better performing (lower freq response, higher spl) subwoofer right now, but without the benefits of improved room response from a multiple woofer setup.

I personally believe in the third line-of-thinking. I bought a Cadence CSX-15 (review soon-forthcoming) with the knowledge that down the road when I could afford another I would purchase one to even out the in-room response. Though now that I have the CSX-15, I fear for the structural integrity of my house if I were to add another. My room is smaller though at only 1700cuft.

In regards to "musical" subs, most people say a sealed sub is the way to go due to their more natural low frequency roll-off. Others say the ported HSU designed subs are very "musical." I've never heard one, so I can't really comment.

Good luck to you!

·
The Village Idiot
9,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chemist;

Thanks for the info. Right now the JBL has my attention. It seems to get very good reviews - some calling it JBLs first 'real' sub. I don't know that I'd get another PS212 - as you noted it won't play lower with two than it does with one. SPL levels aren't the concern - covering the null spots is. I don't have a room correction program with the Emotiva LMC-1 and I'm waiting for the UMC-1 which as you probably know seems always to be 'right around the corner'.

The Infinity SW12 is the most tuneable sub available right now that I know of.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I'm not really sure you would be satisfied, even with 2 of the infinity subs. IMO i would get the most sub i could get in your price range at this point in time, and later down the road add a second of that sub.

I have heard a multitude of not inexpensive retail subs, such as the Klipsch RW-10D, the xw-300d, and the Sub-12. All of which i thought sounded awesome... until i got my eD A2-300 in.

Honestly you just don't get the same performance for your money out of a name brand sub like the Infinity or the Klipsch. Not even close. And when it comes to ID companies, eD is easily the best value if performance is your concern.

Yes, companies like SVS, HSU, Rythmik, etc, make quality products, but you are paying extra for having the nice veneer cabinets etc.

The coating eD uses actually looks fine to me, its semi-gloss, kind of feels like a smoothed out truck bed liner, and from a distance i think it looks fine.

I know you said $500 is your absolute maximum, but if you can eek out a bit extra, i think you would be *very* satisfied with an A3-300.

If thats just not a possibility, which is understandable, then my reccomendation, if size is not an issue, is the a2-300 like i have, or if size is an issue, the HSU VTF-1, or the SVS PB10.

·
The Village Idiot
9,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE:

I just got off the phone with eD. They had a 'b' stock A5- 350 downfiring sub for $575 - sooo, I bought it. It'll take a week or so for them to put a finish on it - mount the amp and driver - then it'll be on its way to me.

Thanks to all of you who 'saved' me from buying another PS212 or a JBL 8400.

There seems to be some very happy eD owners - and I expect to be one of them.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 /forum/post/16987781

UPDATE:

I just got off the phone with eD. They had a 'b' stock A5- 350 downfiring sub for $575 - sooo, I bought it. It'll take a week or so for them to put a finish on it - mount the amp and driver - then it'll be on its way to me.

What am I missing. This is "B" stock but yet they have to put a finish on it. Sounds like a good deal.

·
The Village Idiot
9,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric-t /forum/post/16988136

What am I missing. This is "B" stock but yet they have to put a finish on it. Sounds like a good deal.

Its and older model with the downfiring driver - they still have 10 or so cabinets from what Brett (salesman) said. They just had to fit it into the schedule for paint - add the amp and driver - test it out - then ship it. Comes with a 300 watt amp. Plenty for what I want.

MUSIC!

I'll turn the PS212 on for movies to get even more thump.

·
The Village Idiot
9,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalakersfan34 /forum/post/16988381

Great find Knucklehead90. There are a lot of happy "old model" A5-350 owners out there and you're likely to be yet another. It should certainly be an improvement in output and extension over your PS212.

Thanks. I'm sure it will be everything I've been looking for. Lots of happy campers - as you've noted.

Now the wait begins.

·
Registered
721 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 /forum/post/16987781

UPDATE:

Oh man, you lucky dog. You're going to figuratively **** your pants when you get that puppy home and setup. That sub is probably the best price/perf sub in their entire lineup, and although it is "large", it isn't "huge". I hope you enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 /forum/post/16988401

Its and older model with the downfiring driver - they still have 10 or so cabinets from what Brett (salesman) said. They just had to fit it into the schedule for paint - add the amp and driver - test it out - then ship it. Comes with a 300 watt amp. Plenty for what I want.

MUSIC!

I'll turn the PS212 on for movies to get even more thump.

I wouldn't call it "B" stock but would call it new old stock. Great deal though

·
The Village Idiot
9,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrimnir /forum/post/16989675

Oh man, you lucky dog. You're going to figuratively **** your pants when you get that puppy home and setup. That sub is probably the best price/perf sub in their entire lineup, and although it is "large", it isn't "huge". I hope you enjoy it.

I've got plenty of room for it - I have a corner just waiting for an occupant. I'm sure I will spend many happy hours with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric-t /forum/post/16989824

I wouldn't call it "B" stock but would call it new old stock. Great deal though

NOS - I like that.

Yeah it looks to be a great deal - the best one I've seen in a while.

·
The Village Idiot
9,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Leggs /forum/post/16990384

He's going to blow the windows out with that thing.

So I'll happily replace the windows after watching Knowing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts