Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Scoll down for readers digest version)

A few years back I decided to jump on the HDTV bandwagon. I went out and bought a Sony KW-32 HD1.

Loved the set, loved the price (I used the 'buy at the end of the month when the sales guys make their quota' and bought a floor model). All and all, a purchase that made me quite happy.

3 months ago the line doubler failed. Extended warrantee kicked in. Sony cannot fix it.

The bad news: There's no TV out there that has all the features of my old set. They (goodguys. bleh) claim I have to use the $4500 credit towards a new tube TV. I call BS, and they say "well... you could upgrade. Maybe." and then steered me towards the (IMHO) overpriced and unsuitable Fujitu PDS4242W (one of the lowest scoring 3:2 pull downs out there (primarily watching DTV off a Tivo & Progressive DVD)

The good news: I'm looking at the Plasma Models (I'm not going to trade in my $4500 store credit on a $2500 TV.)

The bad news: Their selection isn't the greatest. It's either the Panasonic

PT-37PD4-P, Samsung SPL4225K or Sony KE-42TS2 (leaning towards the Sony)

The good news: The store credit isn't too far off what I paid 3 years ago.

The bad news: I'm going to have to wheedle, complain, and otherwise bust these guys chops to let me spend it as I want to.

READERS DIGEST VERSION: They can't replace my TV. I have (up to) $4500 in store credit towards a new TV. I have limited options (Good Guys selection only) I'm on somewhat shaky ground as far as what they'll let me buy.

Any advice at all is greatly appreciated. Specifically: Do I have these guys over a barrel because they can't replace my TV with a comperable model, or to they have me over a barrel for exactly the same reason?

Thanks, And I promise to post a detailed review of whatever I end up with :)

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Welcome to the AVS forum lemur.

If they stock the 37" Panny they can probably order the 42". That'd be my suggestion. If they can't order for you, then I'd go with the 37" Panny. Don't get the Sony; it's an Alis panel and widely regarding as being aweful when compared to the Panny's and other leading brands. (Pioneer, NEC, Fujistu Non-Alis)

Reading the FAQ at the top of the Plasma forum will provide a great deal of info as you are just learning about plasmas. Info on Alis is found there too. Happy reading.

Feel free to post any questions you have which will likely be prompted by the FAQ.

·
Premium Member
8,098 Posts
1. I was never too impressed with Sony plasmas, their new offerings might be better. However the 42TS2 is ALiS based, but the contrast ratio (twice that of 4242) makes it the best in the list you gave.

2. The Samsung is also not the cream of the crop.

3. The 37" panny is usually way too overpriced. It's not a bad screen, but for the same price, you can probably get a 42" set.

4. The Fujitsu 4242 is not a bad screen, but it's ALiS and only 500:1 contrast ratio.

5. The best is if you can get them to get you a good Panasonic 42" set. You can also try for a Toshiba screen (I saw they carried those too) - which are basically identical to Panasonic screens.

BTW, do yourself a fabor and jump into a Good guys, don't rely on their online selection only!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback.

I did a bit of digging, and according to the reviewer over at
*******************.com The Panny Can Do No Wrong (97 / 100 score for picture)

Now hopefully I can get these guys to order up a TH-42PHD5UY.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I'm interested to know where you got the information that the Fujitsu 4242 has one of the lowest scoring 3:2 pulldowns out there. This model has the vaunted (ask Trainerdave, cineramax or Ken Ross - are they the same person? ;)) AVM internal scaler/de-interlacer which I cannot believe scored low on anyone's card.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
 Here's the Review of the 4242

It's not like it's a terrible review, it's just that in comparision to the review of the pana TH-42PHD5UY it doesn't fair nearly as well. (88 vs 97 on picture)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.