AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old 32 inch Sony died (sniff). But, now I have buy-in from the wife to upgrade like crazy (YAY!!!!). Unfortunately, all the choices are giving me heartburn.

At first, I was all fired up to get a Sammy. 61 inches here I come (I thought). Then a wise cracking joker at work suggested that I might come down with a headache and that I should look at this forum. Since I'm a bit light sensitive anyway, and have to have the refreash rates on my computer monitor set as high as it will go, I got worried.

After reading through this forum I thought I'd get a Panny (50LC13)! Yes, that's the ticket! Almost as good as DLP, some say as good as DLP, no headaches. Alright I'm there! I went to CC to see one. Next to it was the Hitachi 50V500 (damn it, the Hitachi looked good).

I came back the forum and read about the Hitachi. Lots of good reviews, a few questions about workmanship. Seemed like it might be a compromise point. Brighter than the Panny, no headaches like the Sammy. Ok that's a go.

So I went back to the very same CC to look at the Hitachi again. It still looked better then the Panny, but to my horror had a visible problem (that I hadn't seen the day before!!). Both of the lower corners were black. As though there was something inside the cabinet casting a shadow. Eek!!! Ok, I don't want a Hitachi. Back to Panny thinking.

The Panny's got the right price, it looks good, I should just buy it and live life to the fullest and/or spend most of my spare time ripping my computers apart like I did before. Cool.

I went to Sears today to see what they had. They had the Panny, the Hitachi, and a smallish Sammy. Looking at all three, the Hitachi looked best. I didn't mess with the controls, so maybe this is just a setup thing. They all looked good, it's just the the Hitachi looked better. Dang it, Dang it, Dang it. Ok, maybe I should go Hitachi, besides there was a sign saying that it came in a glorious 60inch size. Could this be it? The promised land at last?

Since all three were present, but at large distances from each other, I decided to compare the usable viewing angle of all three. I stepped off 5 paces from the front of each set, then proceeded to pace parallel to the front of each set until the visual quality dipped to what I thought was unacceptable. The Sammy and the Panny were about the same, 6 paces each. To my surprise the Hitachi was more like 8 paces. Using my incredibly accurate measuring system :), the Sammy and the Panny were good for 100 degrees, and the Hitachi was good for 115 degrees of viewing.

So the Hitachi looked better, had a better field of view, and there is a 60 inch version available. Cool, I thought, I'll get me one of them. But then I noticed something distrubing about the Hitachi. While the lower corners weren't black, they weren't as bright as the rest of the screen. As I moved my head up and down it got better (down) and worse (up). Looking at the Panny I saw the ame thing, though not as pronounced as the Hitachi. Could this be the same thing I saw at CC?

I looked up the forum and read about the Hitachi in more detail. Horror again. Many people are reporting the darkened corners as an issue. Ok, Hitachi is out, out, out.

Back to Panny!!! Oh dear, lots of articles about dead or stuck pixels. People are rationalizing that a stuck pixel is ok. It seems to me that rationalizing that a stuck pixel is ok is why companies like Panasonic ship them that way!!! They know they can get away with it. Oh no, I'm doomed.

Sammy, is left standing. So I think I might buy a Sammy, then trade it in for a Panny if I get a headache.

My head is hurting already. I think I'll by another 32 inch Sony and wait a year. Can't do that though, the wife buy-in will expire if I buy anything less than the biggest baddest thing I can get. Dang, Dang it, Dang. Shouldn't this be fun?

·
Registered
845 Posts
Quote:
Back to Panny!!! Oh dear, lots of articles about dead or stuck pixels. People are rationalizing that a stuck pixel is ok. It seems to me that rationalizing that a stuck pixel is ok is why companies like Panasonic ship them that way!!! They know they can get away with it. Oh no, I'm doomed.
All LCD RPTVs have dead pixels. It's the fact of life for now.

I wonder if this is how you picked your wife? If one give a headache, trade it in. :)

If I were you I go by the price, they are about same.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
I wonder if this is how you picked your wife? If one give a headache, trade it in.
Hey, there's an idea!! On second thought, that'll be a lot more expensive. Also, she might kill me.:D

·
Registered
761 Posts
I must agree with jngf. :confused:

I have tried to look at every conceivable TV that's available. I've been to CC, BB, Sears....all of them at least 2 times and I am no further along in my decision than I was at the start. I still have not been able to actually "see" any LcoS TV's anywhere in the Toledo, Ohio area! :mad:

Yesterday while at Sears I have to admit that the best PQ on any of the TV's was on the CRT models :eek: ...Philips, Sony, and Hitachi.

Then I read about the problems with resolution and Burn-in. While watching a poor SD signal on a 43" Sammy DLP my wife complains that she is getting nauseous during fast scenes of football. I don't watch sports so I tell her that this should not be a problem. :D

I will probably just watch DVD's through my (possible Sammy 61") so all these other issues should be irrelevent..I hope.

Has Philips improved the LCoS yet?

·
Registered
148 Posts
I was also concerned with problems with the Sammy (rainbows, dizziness, etc) and also have my refresh rates bumped up super high at work. I got my Sammy last week and have had NO problems. I TRIED to see the rainbows and couldn't and I watched TV for hours and was not fatigued or dizzy.

Just by if from a place with a 30 day return policy and give it a try. With the proper signal, the results are STUNNING!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I would try to get a good deal on an CRT RPTV now, then wait a few years and get a DLP/LCD, etc when we get the technology to improve the sets. I just got a HIT 57TWX20B for under $2000. I am happy for a few years. Great set. If you have the space, I might look into the HIT or MITS CRT RPTV line...remember they are an aged technology...and many bugs have been worked out of them (although they still have their drawbacks). Tough decision, I know. Good Luck

·
Registered
210 Posts
Also understand that, with the Hitachi, the problem for the black corners has been found. It is foam that has come loose during shipping and blocks the lens. The theory is that it is from tipping the unit too much (can't say that is a fact, though). Once the foam is tucked back into place, the dark corners go away apparently. Just so you don't get too worried about the dark corners.

The drawback with the Hitachi (I've got the 60" on order) is PC connectivity. People are working through that issue, however, and if you don't plan on connecting your PC, then it doesn't matter anyhow.

Good luck with your choice. I've been looking for a year and a half. ;) :D At some point, I think you just have to go for it. That's why I finally made the choice on the Hitachi, and figure that Sears has the 60 day return policy.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jngf
I looked up the forum and read about the Hitachi in more detail. Horror again. Many people are reporting the darkened corners as an issue. Ok, Hitachi is out, out, out.

Not trying to sway you even more but the Hitachi "issue" isn't really an issue. It is foam that moves out of place due to improper shipping methods. A 10 minute fix from what I've heard.

All in all I'm in the same boat, almost left Sears Saturday with the 60v500 but I love my Hitachi CRT too much (and I dont want to move the beast) :)

·
Registered
296 Posts
This is not to slam the sammys. Many who I respect on this forum love them, which tells me that they are great sets. With that said..........Be warned that DLP can have dead pixels too (stuck mirror). Search the forum for "stuck mirror". The paperwork that comes with the Sammy actually mentions it, trying to get the customer to live with it. Uh, uh. Although sometimes the picture was incredible, I had a stuck mirror (how many more might fail?), I also saw a lot of problems with dithering and artifacts (may have been the source, STB, or Sammy). On the good side, I never had any problems with fatigue from watching the set. All said and done, I sent mine back. I am going with a CRT RPTV for now and waiting a few more years for plasma to come down in price.

Ken

·
Registered
404 Posts
jngf,

It sounds like your eye has lead you to the same conclusion I made. The Hitachi seems to have a better picture than the other available choices.

I bought a 50V500 over 3 weeks ago and have been very satisfied with it's performance at this price point for that size of TV. Big box look is out!

It does push green a little hard (for sports fans) but over all you can tweak the hell out of it to get it to look like whatever you want.

High Def over that air looks wonderful! :D

DVD's look great, some look better than others. :)

Standard Def looks good.;)

Analog NTSC tv looks OK but I would definetly work at going HD ASAP.

Like the guys say pick a store with a good return policy and try them out.

:cool:

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
jngf,

Have had both the Panny and Hitachi LCD sets in my house and both are great tv's. As you noticed, the viewing angles on the Hitachi are a bit better both horizontally and vertically. As Shark mentioned, the Panny is a bit more input friendly especially from a HTPC standpoint. Black levels are a bit better on the Hitachi. I have not owned the DLP so I will only say that it appears to be a great set too taking into consideration it's limitations.

As far as I have read thus far, only one Panny was returned by a forum member (Folger) due to a pixel problem. Not bad considering how many sets have been purchased. Pretty much all the LCD owners have reported a couple of stuck pixels but they are not visible at normal viewing distances.

I reported some problems with my Hitachi early on but have been able to tweak most of them away. The remaining problems appear to me to be attributable to my cable feed (analog). All three of these sets are forum favorites and I don't think they will disappoint most people. Just find you one to try with a return policy and get it in your house and give it a go. Chances are you will keep it. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
jngf:

I've had my 50" Samsung DLP since last Christmas. Amazing PQ (especially with DVI sources - STB, DVI-out DVD player, computer), no burn-in, very loooooong life, etc. It weighs 78 pounds and is less than 18" deep. How does the Hitachi compare?

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mnilan
jngf:

I've had my 50" Samsung DLP since last Christmas. Amazing PQ (especially with DVI sources - STB, DVI-out DVD player, computer), no burn-in, very loooooong life, etc. It weighs 78 pounds and is less than 18" deep. How does the Hitachi compare?
bout the same on the Hitachi cept it cost $1000 less. guess that makes it an unfair comparison. go ahead and buy the DLP..........it's only money....you can just make some more. lmfao

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kmp14
Be warned that DLP can have dead pixels too (stuck mirror). Search the forum for "stuck mirror". The paperwork that comes with the Sammy actually mentions it, trying to get the customer to live with it. Uh, uh. Although sometimes the picture was incredible, I had a stuck mirror (how many more might fail?)Ken
Did you ask Samsung to fix your stuck mirror? So far, in every case that I've read about, Samsung has replaced the light engine when an owner has reported a stuck mirror. I have only seen a few reports. There was a report today that a light engine replacement has been scheduled.

I don't think I've read about progressive mirror problems with DLP sets. They seem to be OOTB problems, not frequent, and at this time being fixed. Who knows what Samsung will do in the future.

Another LCD set that should be in the mix is the Sony GWIII.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I haven't seen the GWIII. I'll take a look.

On the Sammy front. I forgot to mention a couple of things I noticed.

1. In 4:3 aspect ratio, the sides of the image curve inward quite a bit.

2. The Sears feed I watched had content that was 16:9 and 4:3. Every TV in sight automatically switched between these formats, except the Samsung. Is that an option?

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jngf
2. The Sears feed I watched had content that was 16:9 and 4:3. Every TV in sight automatically switched between these formats, except the Samsung. Is that an option?
Sure. I suspect that Sears had the Samsung setup messed up. It should have been set to "normal" for SD input.

·
Registered
620 Posts
jngf,

Don't let a "wise cracking joker" at work keep you from a great set.

I don't have the slightest idea what a very small percentage of people are talking about when they talk about headaches and such, when watching DLP.

Now... I'm not saying that there are not some people with hyper sensitivities to various things in life. Some people, for example, have allergies to a host of things that the majority of people are not affected by.

I've had an HLM507W since 12/1/02, and I'd buy it all over again.

If you buy your 617 from a place that has a good return policy, you could try it out for yourself without risk.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.