AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lurking these boards for some time, waiting for when the moment came that my wife would pop her head in my office while I'm dillying around on the computer and say "Ok, I'm watching the packers game, and it's sealed the deal... we need a bigger TV."

So that day came on Thursday. (Word for word, no less :) )

So my months of research on here about to pay off, we go on a little shopping trip, picking up the oft-reviewed but overall well received Samsung HLR-4667W and DirecTV HD Tivo from CC (I could have saved a few bucks online, but the 2 years 0% was just what we were looking for). After spending a few hours setting up the new dish myself (To hell with installs! Hah!), and mind you, those hours were from 7:30pm to 12:30am, we finally got a signal on all 3 satellites, and basked in the glow of HD for about 30 minutes before I collapsed in bed.

The next day I was able to realize 3 things:

1) I was one of the chosen who could see rainbows

2) I had lip sync issues

3) (a good thing) I get HD locals via the receiver, so no antenna!

The rainbows I found I could live with. After only a few more hours of watching, I've found I don't really see them unless I try to look for them, so I can live with that, since the picture is otherwise just wow, HD or SD. The lip sync, however, I could not.

Not to be deterred, my wife chimes in "Might as well update the audio too, we're doing this the right way, right?"

Sure! So, off to best buy to pick up an appropriately priced (And audio delay enabled!) Yamaha HTR-5840, again priced right for the immediate gratification we both needed. An hour later, everything re-wired, we are now enjoying the very much improved setup.

So thank you to all the informative posts and threads out there, especially the official threads that often maintain up to the minute information. You definately helped make my purchase an educated one (although I'm sure some will be quick to mention I did make my purchases at CC and BB, which would contradict that statement, but it was a necessary evil).

For chuckles, here's what I went from:

TV: 25" Magnavox CRT (So old, it didn't even have any RCA plugins, just one coax. I had to use an RF Modulator just to get a signal!)

STB: DVR R10 - We moved this to the bedroom, so now I am guaranteed non-intamancy in there for the forseeable future :p

AV Receiver: RCA (Model number not worth mentioning). No digital optical input, I think it supported dolby prologic in that it had a light that said it, but there wasn't enough plugins in the back to justify it :) Needless to say, it was making a "5.1" signal out of an RCA connection.. so you do the math.

Now:

Samsung HLR-4667W, connected to DirecTV Tivo DVR via HDMI. The Tivo also connects to the Yamaha via digital optical cable.

I didn't mention my DVD player because it wasn't upgraded. It's not progressive scan, though it DOES at least have component video output and digital optical output, so it sounds nice and looks decent, though not as nice as it should.

I know people are always shopping for this kidn of stuff, and while I'm no expert, I can say that my wife and I are very pleased with this efficient, affordable, and beautiful purchase. Thanks again to everyone here, all indirectly, for your help :)

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Even though I had nothing to do with it...."You're Welcome!" I meant to be there and was preoccupied elsewhere, but please know that I was there in spirit. BTW, if things go wrong, I was never there, I had nothing to do with it whatsoever. :D

Eduardo

·
Registered
274 Posts
vttym,

See if you can get your wife to write an article for one of those "ladies magazines" "How to keep your man happy"

:D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmoser
vttym,

See if you can get your wife to write an article for one of those "ladies magazines" "How to keep your man happy"

:D
Haha.. yeah, I've been told she's a rare breed. We've both been clamoring for football since it ended last winter, but when I come home and she's showing me the latest video montage she downloaded from our team fan website... that's approaching more obsessive than me.. which is never a bad thing :D

As far as the ladies magazines.. sorry.. she only reads Maxim, Stuff, or FHM :)

If I wasn't married to her, I'd definately wonder what was under the hood :eek:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.