AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been out listening to a lot of subs lately. And there is one thing that I've noticed. There are a lot of sloppy sounding subs out there. I like the big boom as much as the other guy, but I am looking for a sub that doesn't insist on dominating the sound field. I want one that is actually a part of it, something that will be tightly bound to it. I'm willing to spend about $600. If I have to make a choice between something that is more Home Theater oriented or more music oriented, I'll go with a well balanced musical sub every time.

Edit: Room size 12x20

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
There are a lot of sloppy sounding subs out there. I like the big boom as much as the other guy, but I am looking for a sub that doesn't insist on dominating the sound field.

I suspect you have experienced low cost, low performance subs and your price range would confirm this.

For a "tight" sounding sub you should be looking for a sealed design or a ported sub that you can "seal", there are other factors involved too but that is just a start. at $600 and under you have limited options for a great musical sub, its easier to find a decent HT sub in that price range.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/14170987

I suspect you have experienced low cost, low performance subs and your price range would confirm this.

This is true. I can spend more, but my question is: How much more will get me the tighter sound? I'm lost on this one and maybe I should have asked for the best place to start.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
This is true. I can spend more, but my question is: How much more will get me the tighter sound? I'm lost on this one and maybe I should have asked for the best place to start.

search for Craigsub's sub rankings...not sure the link right now. It shows which subs are more musical, more for HT.

Also check HometheaterShack.com, illka has done lots and lots of sub tests.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Craigsub's rankings have been moved here:

http://www.tweakcityaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11

Based upon his reviews and your budget, it looks like the AV123 MFW-15 is probably your best choice. At $699 + shipping I think you'll be impressed with the musicality as well as its ability to get low and loud for the price.

The only obvious downsides to the MFW-15 that I can see are that the price just increased $100 and you'll be waiting a couple of months to get one. From what I hear though they're worth the wait, and there is very little in its price range that competes.

-Chad

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Not to thread hijack, but can anyone comment on the tightness/musicality of the ed A7S-450? Just curious as eD's seem to work quite well for HT and I was wondering how their sealed version stacked up with competitiors for music.

I have not heard it but all the measurements and posts about it say it will stack up very well against anything in its price range!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Find a used Martin logan Depth. very tight.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goplay912 /forum/post/14175454

...or a used REL Strata III. Very musical and good for HT as well. Tons of good reviews everywhere.

Haha please.. There are much more superior options for the money these days.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotAhr /forum/post/14170921

I've been out listening to a lot of subs lately. And there is one thing that I've noticed. There are a lot of sloppy sounding subs out there. I like the big boom as much as the other guy, but I am looking for a sub that doesn't insist on dominating the sound field. I want one that is actually a part of it, something that will be tightly bound to it. I'm willing to spend about $600. If I have to make a choice between something that is more Home Theater oriented or more music oriented, I'll go with a well balanced musical sub every time.

Edit: Room size 12x20

Any suggestions?

What happens is the subwoofers response can be exaggerated causing a non-linear response in the frequency domain. This often happens as a result of ringing, or where when the energy that resonances in the electrical model of the system is under dampened and the actual cone moves and creates excess SPL for a particular frequency. This is directly related to a special ratio called the quality factor or "q" I have had my share of boomy subs and i hate them. In fact the worst one i have owned was actually sealed... box was just too small.. be warned, this has nothing to do with ported vs sealed! Lots of people here are under the impression that sealed subs are inherently musical.. that’s a can of worms you should try to avoid, and its flat out false.

If you know thing else, look for large subwoofers (sealed or ported), that’s one good way to avoid high Q systems that might ring.. but there are many other things to consider too.. Sometimes you want some ring because it actually helps out with the SPL response. One of the widely accepted alignments is a Q of 1/(Root 2)… Butterworth which provides a -3dB(I think) at the corner (resonance) … I have to look that up, but there is nothing to say you cant go lower or higher. But as far as lack of “tightness” that’s often just the ringing that you hear.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Perceived 'tightness' of a subwoofer is highly dependent upon the layout and treatment of the room it is in.

Tim

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
An 18" sub couldn't possibly sound good.

·
Premium Member
12,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse S /forum/post/14177133

An 18" sub couldn't possibly sound good.

Then you have either listened to lousy subs and/or lousy rooms.

And you can take the best sub of any ranking at any price, put it in a crappy room (virtually any mid to lower hi-fi store fits that description) or in the wrong place in that room and it will sound boomy (not tight).

·
Registered
40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADOBHuK /forum/post/14177562

And a guy who says that has almost three thousand posts?!

Who cares how many posts someone has. Experience is what tells the tale and an 18 can be just as quick as an 8. The problem with 8's are you have to have a ton of them to equal the amount of air a couple of 18's can move and the 8's will be at max excursion which causes distortion.

I use to do competition car audio and would never go beyond a 15 due to the misbelief I had in size vs speed until someone from Phoenix Audio showed me how a crappy sub with a bad amp would make someone think that.

Given a good quality sub and a quality amp with adequate power you can do most anything you could imagine and more.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts