AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,
does any of you know a tool (free or commercial) which can create a synthetic profile (just like Argyll CMS does) but also embed VCGT tag in it? The VCGT data may come either from current memory of graphic card, or from a file (argyll can rip the curves, but i see no way to embed them in a profile).

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I don't know of a ready-made tool, but given (e.g.) the libraries that dispcalGUI provides together with Argyll CMS' dispwin to save current video card calibration (dispwin -s) this should be possible with a few lines of code. Just curious, what's the intended use?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, there are some calibrations programs, which do not create complete ICC profile, but use external start-up program to hold video card curves. It creates a lot of problems. Such a command in DispcalGUI could be a workaround for that. I could rip the curves off graphic card, and embed them in the profile.
Since there is already an option to create a synthetic profile then yes, i believe it wouldn't take you much time ;)
As soon as you implement that function I'll be glad to donate your project.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Cpkeeper may do the trick. From the readme:

Run CPKeeper.exe then click the [...] buttons to choose a .icc or .icm profile file for your monitor(s). If you do not have a .icc or .icm file, click the
[*] button to grab and save your current gamma ramp to file.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, i'll definitely have a try.

Can you give an example of this?
Spectracal Calman - it uses Cal PC app to keep gamma tables. I calibrated my monitor this way and when i updated drivers it as if recognized it again and reset to default settings, so i had to perform the calibration again. I can't imagine what a mess it would be if i calibrated hm... let's say... 50 monitors for my customers and then they would randomly start to reset to defaults and erase the calibration. While the ICC profile itself can be backed up, the gamma curves cant be.
Besides that i like calman as monitor calibration software. I run some tests using Argyll, Calman and Lightspace for calibrating one of the older HP monitors, then validated using CC24 patches in photoshop, and calman's calibration had lowest deltaE's

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Spectracal Calman - it uses Cal PC app to keep gamma tables.
The correct way to go about this would be to ask SpectraCal to make CalMan store the calibration inside the profile then (if it doesn't do that already).

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, i've checked that tool and while it can back up gamma ramps and can be used to load them it can't embed in a profile.

The correct way to go about this would be to ask SpectraCal to make CalMan store the calibration inside the profile then (if it doesn't do that already).
Sure, but since i'd like to get it done in this century, i'd rather find an external app. So will you, please, add that option in DispCAL GUI?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Sure, but since i'd like to get it done in this century, i'd rather find an external app. So will you, please, add that option in DispCAL GUI?
Sorry, but it simply isn't a good idea. If you have a machine with a broken part, you fix/replace the part, not add another one because then instead of one point of possible failure, you'd have two.
If I were to add a feature that would allow combining profiles and calibrations arbitrarily, it'll just be a matter of time before someone uses that to combine a calibration and profile where the profile was not actually created "on top" of the calibration, thus leading to all kinds of weirdness when the profile is then used because it doesn't describe the actual device state anymore.

The only "safe" way of combining an existing calibration with a profile is to load the calibration, and then re-profile the display. In dispcalGUI, you can already do that:

1. Launch dispcalGUI.
  2. Adjust the settings to your liking (if needed), then make sure that the "Settings" dropdown is set to "".
  3. Use any means available to you to load the calibration you'd like to use as basis for the profiling run. This could mean using "Options" - "Load calibration from file..." or an external tool.
  4. Click "Profile only". Confirm the "Current calibration will be used" dialog (make sure "Use linear calibration instead" is unchecked, and "Embed calibration in profile" is checked).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts