Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stumbled across this page:

http://home.att.ne.jp/sigma/vik/dvd.htm

Talks about a tonne DVD Recorders available (or soon to be) in Japan that I haven't even heard of! Sony RDR-A1, Sharp DV-SR100, Mitsubishi DJ-R1000, Hitachi DV-RX3000. Lots of the info is in English too!

This page:

http://www.dvdplusrw.org/cgi/ikonboa...um=1&topic=706

explains why Toshiba DELIBERATELY chose to omit the firewire input for their upcoming RD-X1 DVD recorder with built-in hard drive! Something about a lack of standards?! That's a shame - I love Toshiba products, but I will most certainly buy the Panasonic DMR-HS1 over the RD-X1 because of the firewire input. I currently own the e-20 and I absolutely love it... adding firewire in and a hard drive for editing will make the machine phenomenal in my opinion.

Right now, to me it looks like the DMR-HS1 is the best on the horizon.... the only thing that I wish it had was component in for highest quality DVD to DVD transfers... though I don't know if this really matters as I don't know of any players with component out that can be hacked to remove the digital copy protection that these recorders detect (just know of the Apex 1500.... works great but only has s-video out).

I also think that DVD-R will win out as the write-once format, and RAM as the rewrite format.... any thoughts?

Hyperseer

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Quote:
Talks about a tonne DVD Recorders available (or soon to be) in Japan that I haven't even heard of! Sony RDR-A1, Sharp DV-SR100, Mitsubishi DJ-R1000, Hitachi DV-RX3000. Lots of the info is in English too!
Sony RDR-A1 was suppose to be out in US in March. No loss since it is made Pioneer and is identical to Pioneer DVR-7000 inside. Sharp DV-SR100 should be out soon. It is made by Pioneer and is the same inside as new Pioneer DVR-3000 coming in September to US. Hitachi DV-RX3000 is made by Panasonic and it is identical to DMR-E20 inside and outside.

Quote:
explains why Toshiba DELIBERATELY chose to omit the firewire input for their upcoming RD-X1 DVD recorder with built-in hard drive!
It is bs from Toshiba. There is a standard and has been for few years. I can record thru firewire on my DVR-7000 no problem and can control any MiniDV camcorder. I tried 10 different one's.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Quote:
I don't know of any players with component out that can be hacked to remove the digital copy protection that these recorders detect (just know of the Apex 1500.... works great but only has s-video out).
Any Panasonic player can be modified to disable copy protect.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CKNA -

Modified via firmware upgrade CD like the Apex or some sort of mod chip?

And you do mean the digital copy protection, not just macrovsion correct?

Thanks.

Hyperseer

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CKNA

I mean all copy protection, digital and analog. It is a firmware and small chip mod.
DMCA.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Man E
DMCA.
So far the companies making mods haven't had any trouble that I've seen. Besides, with Philips players, the AllForOne remotes should technically be outlawed, and the players fixed but nothing has changed yet.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Yeah, maybe there's not enough fish in the net to fry yet to make it worthwhile. Or maybe the evil powers that be know that the DMCA won't hold water when it gets to the Supreme Court and they're waiting for someone to do something in particular that will help them win.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.