AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to be able to turn an RPTV so that, on occasion, people in a different part of the house can have a better view of the TV. I had such a thing with my old direct view 32 inch sony, and would like to do the same with a 50 to 60 inch RPTV.

Seems like the turntable wouldn't be a big issue to make, as the RPTVs I've looked at are a lot lighter than my old 32 inch sony. But what about the sets themselves?

Is a DLP or LCD going to be ok being rotated a little bit while on? Seems like the DLP might have more problems because of things moving (mirrors and color wheels). But maybe the extra vibrations will make the LCD lose convergence, or cause some other problem.

Does anyone know if anyone makes turntables for RPTVs?

Am I just nuts? :confused:

·
Registered
460 Posts
I guess you could always put an RPTV on a turtable.

Or you could get the new Philps LCoS Cineos. It includes a swivel base.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
My parents are building a house and we plan on putting a 60" on a turntable as well. Needs to rotate about 180 degrees. I don't see how it could be a problem.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
I've bought the actual ball bearing/swivel assembly at Home Base before (a number of years ago now). At the time they had different sizes from about 4" up to 12" or so (only about 1/4" thick). I bought a big one, slapped a board on top of it and put a 75lb direct view set on top. Worked great. You can buy premade swivel boards for TV use but I don't think they come large enough for this application.

ron

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I'm planning on getting a tv stand with casters on it for this purpose.

Ideally, you'd want a remote-controlled motorized swivel like Loewe has on some of it's tv's (their DLP doesn't look like it has it though...)

brvheart- is the Cineos' base motorized like this?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.