AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im sorry if this type of question has been asked over and over again, but here it goes

I have a large living room (22' x 38') we have a 52"XBR3 LCD on the wall, now I wanted to go with in-wall/on-wall speakers budget ~7-10K, I was thinking with this budget I would go with an AV reciever as opposed to seperate components (have really been excited about AVR4806ci)

have looked and heard:

Definitive tech Mythos 5 (ran by Denon AVR 380... something)

B&W FPM (ran by Rotell 1067)

Martin Logan Voyages (I think ran by Primare AV reciever ?? model)

But what I wanted to listen to is B&W through AVR4806, what do you guys think? I know voyages are supposed to be higher end but the sound was a bit too harsh to my ears ( not sure if it was the av reciever) the delear selling the B&W do not carry Denons, and obviouly he wants me to get the rotels. Any comments are appreciated ty

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Put an Arcam, B&K, or a Rotel on the FPM's , you'll be much happier with the SQ than you would be with the Denon, IMO. I am a B&W dealer, I also AM VERY FAMILIAR WITH THE OTHER BRANDS as well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would you mind telling me which arcam or B&K models you would recommend? my TV accepts HDMI and I was hoping to route the different components through the processor if possible (dual channel comcast motorolla DVR, Play station 3, 400 sony dvd changer, and probably gonna get a higher quality CD/DVD player.)

Thank you

·
Registered
14,091 Posts
If you're going to spend that much money, I'd get Triad in-walls. They are better than just about any on wall on the market. When an inwall is done *really* well, it has advantages over onwalls in the early reflection/diffraction area.

·
Registered
14,091 Posts
Another suggestion, though I'm biased on this one (dealer), since you're also thinking separates - the NHT L5 onwalls are really incredible for onwalls. Though less expensive at $500 each, they certainly don't sound it and are a true 3-way design (more detail, better dispersion, lower distortion). What can help make them perform is that NHT's Controller 7.1 preamplifier has special automatic EQ software for these speakers that helps deal with the on-wall performance issues that invariably arise. I have L5s at home for my HT and the Controller is my next upgrade. The Controller is made by Vinci Labs, NHT's parent company, and they build for a lot of very high-end brands.

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
I have FPMs and they were originally powered by Denon, then I went to a 1067 and was MUCH happier. FPMs are very underated speakers in my opinion. I now have them a 7.1 FPM setup powered by a Rotel 1068/RMB 1077 combo and im blown away. Love it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would highly recommend Magneplanar http://www.magneplanar.com/ I have the 1.6s and the sound is amazing. I love the B&W sound too, and was probably going to buy them till I heard the Maggies.

btw, given your speaker budget, why wouldnt you get separates, or at least increase your budget for electronics? Just curious to understand the reasoning for your a/v allocation...

·
Registered
2,452 Posts

Quote:
I have FPMs and they were originally powered by Denon, then I went to a 1067 and was MUCH happier. FPMs are very underated speakers in my opinion. I now have them a 7.1 FPM setup powered by a Rotel 1068/RMB 1077 combo and im blown away. Love it.

I've heard of few set-ups like this and have been very amazed. Enjoy!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.