AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

A/V Education?

671 views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  help-r-monkey 
#1 ·
My goal is to create my own line of A/V (mainly audio) components & subwoofers?

What kind of education will help me in my path to fame?

I'm starting off with a degree in Electronic Engineering Technology & a degree in Drafting.

What else???

#3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman
20 years of practical experience... at a minimum.

And a doctorate helps...
I have almost 20 years.

Doctorate in what???

#4 ·
20 years at what? An electrician?

Sorry, but you envision designing audio components and speakers (subwoofers)?

Take all of the courses you can, but if you haven't come close to attaining that goal (after 20 years) and have to ask here... I think you missed the lunch bell.

Have you designed/built anything yet?

#5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman
20 years at what? An electrician?

Sorry, but you envision designing audio components and speakers (subwoofers)?

Take all of the courses you can, but if you haven't come close to attaining that goal (after 20 years) and have to ask here... I think you missed the lunch bell.

Have you designed/built anything yet?
I've built over 50 subwoofer enclosures.

I've installed around 75 car/home systems.

I've modded car amps & eq's.

I've modded home a/v components.

20 years A/V experience. 7 years electrician.

#6 ·
In order to compete with major manufacturers you need to offer something new and innovative. Industry education is specifically attained by going to WCES each January in Vegas, going to CEDIA training and gaining all industry certifications.

#8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheaterguy
In order to compete with major manufacturers you need to offer something new and innovative. Industry education is specifically attained by going to WCES each January in Vegas, going to CEDIA training and gaining all industry certifications.
I keep up with what's new in the industry.

I know I can offer something new & innovative.

As far as CEDIA traingin goes, I don't want to be an installer, I already know how to do that.

#11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmanstan
I would agree with the physics, since you will be dealing with waves, sound waves, and building enclosure to manipulate those waves.

If you can build something that sounds good, really good, then all you need is advertising to sell them.
It's also usually a good idea to research and immerse and find out what's needed, to "fill a hole" that nobody else has.

#12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by iboon
It's also usually a good idea to research and immerse and find out what's needed, to "fill a hole" that nobody else has.
Done/doing just that...

#14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Grooms
and learn about circuits?
Maybe you missed this in my 1st post:

I'm starting off with a degree in Electronic Engineering Technology

#15 ·
Being able to figure it out on paper is one thing, but rolling up your sleeves and putting the heat to the iron is how you should learn audio circuits.

#16 ·
What is the syllabus for "EE Technology"? Does it teach you how to design circuits?

#17 ·
#18 ·
Simple:

Build a product for HT

Build it cheaper at that price point.

Build it better so people see it as a bargan.

Sell it.

Build more of them and sell em'.

Build a customer base and reputation.

Talk to people and listen.

Hire some staff so you have more time to design.

Get an accountant.

Rent a building big enough to manufacture.

Show your product at the Winter CES show.

Hire sales guys to give you more free time.

Hire me so I can leave my filthy notten job and work for you.

Throw a Big Holiday party and hand out bonuses (give back to the people)

Hire an engineering staff to give you idea's that you can sort through.

Move out of that small facility and get a real plant and put your nose to the grind stone.

Get your face in a magazine telling whats on the horizon for Prozakk Audio inc.

Get your kids into the company and make yourself the CEO.

Retire, knowing you gave all you had to give and your product shows it.

Good luck KG !

#19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran
Simple:

Build a product for HT

Build it cheaper at that price point.

Build it better so people see it as a bargan.

Sell it.

Build more of them and sell em'.

Build a customer base and reputation.

Talk to people and listen.

Hire some staff so you have more time to design.

Get an accountant.

Rent a building big enough to manufacture.

Show your product at the Winter CES show.

Hire sales guys to give you more free time.

Hire me so I can leave my filthy notten job and work for you.

Throw a Big Holiday party and hand out bonuses (give back to the people)

Hire an engineering staff to give you idea's that you can sort through.

Move out of that small facility and get a real plant and put your nose to the grind stone.

Get your face in a magazine telling whats on the horizon for Prozakk Audio inc.

Get your kids into the company and make yourself the CEO.

Retire, knowing you gave all you had to give and your product shows it.

Good luck KG !
My goal:

get mods (currently unavailable) to existant products patented

sell patented ideas to major corporation

use $ to get further funds for research/patents

learn more about products function on the circuitboard level, to help fuel new ideas

make own line of subs

put money back for further growth...etc.

hire KG! ;)

----OR----

EET degree, get patents, become partner w/SVS

#20 ·
You don't need a degree to draft, just some experience.

EE technology sounds like one of those ITT Tech courses that will get you a job doing repetitive testing in somebody else's lab. It does say "help..." do all the things you listed that you want to do, not "do" if you can appreciate the distinction.

A real live EE degree from a top flight engineering university would be beneficial if you want to design circuits that other people will pay for. Acoustic engineering might be helpful, physics could help and is part of most engineering ciriculi, and of course, materials science is a field that offers plenty of opportunity for growth. A healthy smattering of finance and marketing classes wouldn't hurt either or just go get an MBA later.

I guess the real question for you is what are you going to be doing, and who is going to have to give you the money to do it (or buy it) when you are done? What do you need to give you credibility? Here's what I mean by that - if Mark Seaton called up Velodyne and said, "Hey, I have an idea for a new sub" what does he have that you don't have that gets him an appointment with the big boss? Barring 20 years or more directly involved in the field & plenty of success, what can you offer that all these established names can't (I'm not trying to put you off, just giving you food for thought. Education can help you on your way but only if it helps you get things you don't already have or can't get on your own)

Good luck!

#21 ·
As far as business end goes, my wife's working on degrees in business management/business administration/accounting, with her goal of being a CPA.

My EET degree is to learn more about circuits, of which I have some, but limited knowledge of.

Physics and materials science sounds interesting.

As far as to compete with the big names goes, that's where patents come into play. Mr. Big Corporation will have the opportunity to use my design(s) for X amount of time, exclusively.

#22 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prozakk
As far as to compete with the big names goes, that's where patents come into play. Mr. Big Corporation will have the opportunity to use my design(s) for X amount of time, exclusively.
I meant it more from the "how do you get into Mr. Big Corporations's office" perspective. Mr. Big is likely to have zillions of people trying to get him to buy or rent their big idea. And he can get his circuit design department to whip up a similar design if it sounds good.

Patent law is an area you may wish to research as well. Patents are extremely specific, and there are usually ways around them. Furthermore, patents expire - there's a reason KFC and Coke don't have patents on their secret recipes.

#23 ·
To do anything with physics and with EE, you need heavy math. Done any calculus? If not, start there.

#24 ·
I agree with DMF there a is a big difference between an EET and a EE degree. You cannot become a licenced engineer with a EET. I would also start building and a getting exerperiance with loud speakers, crossovers ( you would amazed how tricky the math gets for even simple second order filters), power supplies, or inverters. Acuostics become difficult outside even the most basic layouts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.