AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought by first theatre system, and almost everything has an internet LAN connection; receiver; blue ray (just BD live); and LCD (says it can stream). So, which one do I use for streaming Netflex and BD-live - all of them one of them. Also, my wireless internet connection is upstairs, do I need to add a wireless ethernet bridge or something else? Help.

·
Registered
102 Posts
For viewing BD Live stuff, that's gotta come from your Blu Ray player.

Does your Blu Ray player have wireless built in? If not, you may want to see if they offer a dongle. That would be the easiest way to stream that content. Keep in mind that you probably won't be able to get Netflix in HD unless you have 802.11n in your hardware (on both ends). A bridge would probably do just fine, but see if you can work 802.11n in for the best experience :)

Cheers!

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
I would recommend a wireless bridge and then hardwire whatever components you need to that, with a switch if necessary. I haven't had good experiences with n stuff over g, but if working properly the extra bandwidth would be advantageous. But realistically G functioning properly in a non-noisy environment will likely exceed whatever your internet connection is anyway so it shouldn't be the bottleneck unless you're trying to move stuff around heavily locally on your LAN.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloneX /forum/post/18140899

You might want to consider Powerline Ethernet to get internet connectivity to your home theater. In my particular case I have found it to be much more reliable than my 802.11g wireless.

Another good idea worth recommending. I also have seen some very good results with Corinex ethernet over power adapters (not to be confused with power over ethernet!!!) where wiring is not easily feasible.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all. I have decided to just go ahead and place another wireless router downstairs, which also allows hardwiring LAN connections as necessary. I guess now I can experiment to identify what each component can effectively deliver from its internet connection, starting with the receiver.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles /forum/post/18129462

I would recommend a wireless bridge and then hardwire whatever components you need to that, with a switch if necessary. I haven't had good experiences with n stuff over g, but if working properly the extra bandwidth would be advantageous. But realistically G functioning properly in a non-noisy environment will likely exceed whatever your internet connection is anyway so it shouldn't be the bottleneck unless you're trying to move stuff around heavily locally on your LAN.

I had similar questions over here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post18279677

Seems this area is better suited. My devices all use G native and I plan on hard wiring when possible, the wifi is for convenience and casual surfing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.