AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I have a dedicated HT (18x11) with a wall mounted split A/C system. Across the room from the A/C unit and about 9ft away faces my rack which is open at the front with each shelf about 8" height. I have 2 A/V receivers (one on the bottom and one on the top shelves), a PS3, Xbox 360 and a small Nettop computer for my XBMC install and a few hard drives. The Nettop and hard drives are always on. As well as that I have a desk with a iMac and laptop which are usually off overnight. At the moment I have no cool air other than what is coming from the wall A/C unit, which is in operation all day but shut off at night when the room is not in use. When the A/C is off the room is very hot but then only the items mentioned are turned on.

Pic of rack:

What would you advise the best cooling system for my needs? I've been running without anything for over a year now but recently one of my one year old receivers died so I want to make sure I have adequate cooling. Is the open front of my rack good enough? Should I just get individual fans placed on top of the A/V receivers or would I be better off with a couple of thermostat controlled fans in the back of the unit itself? Note the back of the rack is the other 1/2 of my garage.

Cheers.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hello,

I am not an expert on this since i have not tried this but one of my friends had used one of these product recently.

http://www.coolerguys.com/cabinetcooling.html

This is cooling solutions for our day to day needs from cooler guys. It is a DIY project you can do. It would be great if back of your equipment rack has some space to exhaust the cool air. Also, since your room does not have fresh cool air circulation, it would be better if you use an exhaust kind of solution to let the air out from the back of your equipment rack and have a dedicated cooling for the same. You can also save some light bill on your AC.

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
I'd figure out some way to monitor the temperature, maybe run a cable from the computer, and leave the computer on for a week. Must be some software and temperature probe that lets you log temps.

If you find the temps are high, then vent the closet outside the room, if possible. A bathroom fan would be great.

If not, you can get a rack fan(s) - any empty spaces in there?

Middle Atlantic Thermal Management white paper

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm using a Scythe Kaze fan controller (4 separate temperatures/fan control) with 4 ultra quiet fans, all from Cooler Guys. It's made for cooling servers but can be used outside of a computer with a separate power supply that does 5V and 12V (also available from Cooler Guys). Works great for my purposes and gives total control (individual temp display/fan control for each rack).

·
Registered
155 Posts
I use a usb device from temperaturealert that monitors my lan room and sends a email/text alert when the temp threshold has been exceded. In the room i just use a pooter exhaust fan and a cooling fan from office max. Works great!

·
Registered
622 Posts

Quote:
When the A/C is off the room is very hot but then only the items mentioned are turned on...

What would you advise the best cooling system for my needs? ... Is the open front of my rack good enough? Should I just get individual fans placed on top of the A/V receivers or would I be better off with a couple of thermostat controlled fans in the back of the unit itself? Note the back of the rack is the other 1/2 of my garage.

If you're trying to keep the equipment below, say, 90 degrees, and the temperature in the room never gets above, say, 85 degrees, then you should be able to accomplish your purpose by simply moving room air around and through the equipment. The coolerguys stuff at the link posted by zammykhan would work well for this purpose.

On the other hand, if the temperature in the room gets up to, say, 95 degrees, then simply moving room air through the equipment is never going to achieve your (hypothetical) goal of keeping the equipment below 90 degrees. If the room gets hotter than the target temperature for the equipment, then you're going to have to figure out a way of getting cooler air into the rack. You could do that by cooling the entire theater. Or you could do it by bringing cool air from another part of the house into the rack. For example, run a 4" flex duct from a conditioned part of the house into the bottom of the rack. Use an in-line bathroom fan to push the air and a thermal switch to control the fan. Ideally, you would use another section of flex duct in the top of the rack to vent the now-hot air to somewhere other than the theater room. This duct-in-and-duct-out approach would work best if you put a door on the front of the rack -- otherwise the cool air you're introducing into the bottom of the rack might dissipate into the room before it makes its way all the way to the top of the rack.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.