AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently designing the A/V rach for my HT. It will be built into the wall. What are the standard sizes between and fo each shelf? I.E. - Distance between each shelf and the dimensions of each shelf?

~Josh

·
Premium Member
16,763 Posts
I think you'll want adjustable shelves. All of my equipment is different sizes. Your receiver/amp will probably be deeper/taller than the rest of your devices. Common width is 19", but allow a little more for ventilation.

Also, as a lesson-learned, plan for rack lighting and ventilation if you're still early in the design phase.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds Good, Thanks!!

~Josh

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is a common amount of shelves?

~Josh

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Josh,

Really depends on your needs and what components you want to install. That will drive the size of the rack, number of shelves, the height of the shelves and the ventilation requirements that Clarence was referring to. Have you looked at any of the available rack products out there (like Middle Atlantic Slim 5 or others)? That might give you some ideas... there was also several threads about "racks". I'll try and dig you one up tomorrow if I get the chance.

Bud

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bud I haven't really looked areound on AVS for information on racks. I will do that now. How are you going to cool your rack down?

~Josh

·
Registered
387 Posts
Josh,

I used Middle atlantic racks with top-mounted Fan Panels. I knew exactly where I was putting my equiptment rack so I had a HVAC return built into the side of the equiptment area (before the rest of the walls went up) so air is drawn up from rack and then out by the return. I have a temp sensor on a return near the projector as well so that a fan will kick on in room (without AC if the rest of the room is cool so air is still moving, even if AC in the room is off. This works well for keeping equipt, PJ (and occupants!) comfy. I found the AC requirement has been less with this method as well.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any recommendations on where to buy Middle Atlantic racks?

~Josh

·
Registered
609 Posts
I bought mine from markertek.com. They had the lowest price that I was able to find (although shipping added 1/4 more to the cost).

jj

·
Registered
957 Posts
If you are looking for the best pricing, call Parts Express or go to the nearest Sam Ash, Guitar Center, etc. and have them special order it for you.

It may be worth it to get to know one of the top custom a/v guys in your area and buying some of the parts and pieces from them. They will have to charge a little more, but the advice that comes with it can be invaluable and can be worth much more than the price difference in avoiding common mistakes.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Josh,

I bought my Middle Atlanta Slim 5-43 at BSW. They have great prices on racks themselves. I got the biggest one and it qualified for free shipping (at the time, not the case now). Here is a link to different racks. Don't be fooled by the pictures, they're all full racks. Click on the individual links. They have different sizes.

http://www.bswusa.com/promo_more.asp?promo=5&cat=1

This is the one I got:
http://www.bswusa.com/proditem.asp?item=5-43

I have a very quiet bathroom fan with a temperature switch, it vents out to my workshop. The also have fans that mount in the rack for the same purpose. Take a look at my construction thread for photos (towards the front). There is also reference to a document that discusses venting racks. Read that as well.

Bud

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Regarding the fan in the rack area, anyone ever thought of powering the fan with a 110V outlet that's on the back of most recievers? What about powering it from a Power Conditioner or something?

I wouldn't really power it from a receiver, but I said that to get my point across. This way, you don't have to bother with a temperature switch or anything. As soon as you turn on the power to the rack, the fan would start.... Something I thought of the other day while I was building a wall for my rack area.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.