AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im a newbie on a tight budget trying to build a 2 channel system i have a pair of speakers and a 2 channel amp but i dont have a preamp and right im out of money. is there anyway i can use my av receiver as my preamp? any potential problems if i do this? im thinking of using the md recorder out to the amp connection. any suggestions?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
813 Posts
as long as your receiver has pre outs yeah, works great for that.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chameleon /forum/post/12964460

im thinking of using the md recorder out to the amp connection.

The MD recorder output is a fixed level and will not be affected by your volume control. Not good...

As Bobcel mentions, you would need to use "pre-amp outputs", if your receiver has them.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Dude. I looked at your last post about speakers I think, you mentioned you have a HK 3385? It has audio preouts, just go from the R and L audio Pre Outs to your amp, good to go

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bobcel, i guess you were looking at a post of another member cause i dont have a HK i have an Onkyo htib receiver (no preouts) are all the outputs such as vcr, video 1....etc all fixed level? i hope not cause the speakers and the amp dried up my pocket. got good deals on them (psb stratus minis and b&k amp) thats why i pulled the trigger on them. i just hope i dont have to wait a for a long time before i can listen to this set up

thanks in advance

·
Registered
813 Posts
Sorry bout that chief. Yeah, they are fixed level outputs. shame though, sounds like you have a good amp and speaks. AVR's do a pretty good job as peamps......but you really need one with pre outs to do this right. If possible check out your local craigslist for an avr, don't know what kind or budget, or if one at all right now, but you could pick something up pretty cheap to tide you over.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yup totally bummed right now. maybe i can look around my friends house for an old receiver that has a pre out (getting a bit desperate) hope i find 1

thanks for your help

·
Registered
813 Posts
No problem, hope you find one. Just get one to use in the interim and save your sheckles to buy something you really want...sounds like you do your homework and look for good deals...I just upgraded to a new combo processor and amp myself, Emotiva, love the stuff. I do have a Yamaha avr I'm getting rid of if interested, although wanting 100 bananas for it. good luck..

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Maybe sell the Onkyo and buy his Yamaha?

·
Registered
813 Posts
Sounds like a great deal. Vintage model, but from what I hear it does great. Really cant get hurt at that price! As long as it function well, I say go for it

·
Registered
813 Posts
Yeah, leave a entry on this post and let us know how it worked out and sounds....good luck

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Finally got all the pieces of my system today; i got the bk amp i won in an auction on ebay. I hooked up all the pieces nad 20 series preamp 1020, bk st1400 series II amp and the psb stratus minis and im happy with what im hearing. female vocals & acoustic music sound great on good recordings the only drawback when playing bad recordings the system sounds mediocre. I guess garbage in garbage out. Im very happy with my first mid fi stereo system i built with preowned components at $550 total it was a good deal.

thanks for all your inputs

1 - 14 of 14 Posts