AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took care of video first, now it's time for the audio portion of the HT. I'm currently running the following inputs to my Mitsubishi RPTV:

1) HD cable box (Pioneer from TW) -- using component cables for the HD channels and S-Video for the non-HD stuff

2) Progressive-scan DVD using component cables

3) VCR

4) Output from Tivo (connected to a separate cable box) modulated and sent over a home video distribution network using RG-6 cable into the Ant input

I'm looking at receivers in the 300-500 range and I'd like to know the following:

1) Will the component video switching degrade my signal at this price level? I looked at the SONY STR-DE695 ($300) and it claims to switch at an 80mhz bandwidth. However, a Sony customer svc rep told me not to use it for HD cable signals and said to continue running the cable box directly into the TV

2) I don't see receivers with RF inputs. How do I connect my RG6 to the receiver? Are the cheap converters OK to use? If not, what would you recommend?

3) I presume that I'll still have to send multiple video outs to the TV (at least component, composite, and s-video). Because of the mix of video inputs (RF, s-video, composite, and component) what happens when all of these are connected at once? Does the receiver automatically sense the type of signal being played and use the proper output path automatically? Or do I have to manually tell it which output to use?

4) Should I continue to keep everything hooked up to the TV and just use the receiver for the audio portion of the signal? This seems like it would be a waste and would introduce much confusion when non-techies try to operate the systems.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
cityboy3:

Welcome to AVS Forum!

I have a couple of comments on your connection woes...

First, there is no way to make a statement about receivers in the (blank) range because there are differences even at that level. Some receivers have component switching but do not have the bandwidth to actually handle the signal, so your picture quality would suffer. Also, I doubt whether the receivers in this price range are going to convert (for example) composite into component), so this could get REALLY confusing for novice users.

In general, you would be better off running the video sources directly to the Mitsubishi and the audio directly to the receiver.

So, your last option (#4) is the best strategy. For helping novice users, you just need to get them to think of establishing a video source on the display and then an audio source on the receiver...

If you go look at specific ones, I'm sure folks in the Receiver Forum area would be happy to provide you with specific evaluative comments on that specific receiver.

Good luck!

·
Registered
471 Posts
For the very best setup for a technophobe, just send the audio output from the TV to your receiver, and you won't have to worry about matching the audio selection on the receiver to the video selection on the HDTV. You'd just use one receiver input for sound from all your video sources. If the non-techies have problems, they can just turn off the receiver and listen through the TV speakers.

At least you are only concerned about one TV. I have a projector, and a 32" for daytime use, in parallel (S-video). I'm running everything through the receiver. The DVD recorder is on VCR1, the VCR output is on DVD (the VCR2 input doesn't have S-video), the DBS is on DBS. It's a nightmare to operate.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just checked my owner's manual. I have 2 RCA jacks for Audio Out from the TV (R & L). It says that it won't support multi-channel digital audio. Won't work, will it?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.