Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've decided to build my own multizone system with home cinema. I'm planning to drive everything from a central computer and distributing audio and video.

For audio, I have to decide on extra amplifiers. I still need to amplify at least 7 channels (among these are 5 for home cinema). As I planned to do all the audio decoding on the pc, I thought I really needed high quality amplifiers, preferably with signal sensing. My budget is $750.

Talking to a local dealer, he told me two AMC amplifiers type 2455a (for more info : AMC page for 2455a ) would be a great deal, certainly if you compare it with other multiroom amplifiers. For the two, he offered me a nice price.

In my quest for cheap amplifiers at decent quality, I discovered the three receivers everyone is talking about in this forum (Denon AVR-3802

Harmon AVR-520 and Sony STR-DA5ES). Looking at their specs and prices, AMC seems to have better specs, but less power and somewhat outdated.

I almost had my mind set on buying those AMC's, but now I'm wondering : what should I do ? Maybe buy one AMC and the Denon for home cinema ?

Which would be best : audio decoding using pc or the dsp solution ?

Are there any products comparable to the AMC amplifier ? I have found none so far !

Any suggestions on what I should do ?

Thanks a bunch !

Kristof

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I did some further research. I don't think the Denon is an option for me : when you buy Dolby Surround x, within a few years you'll have another option. So decoding using a pc is a much more flexible solution (although I could imagine you may lose some quality).

I want to focus spending all my money on a good amplifier. Tonight I found another interesting multichannel amp in the reasonable price range :

the B&K AV2600 . Anyone uses this amp ?

Tomorrow I'm going to look into models of Rotel and Harman Kardon.

Greetz,

Kristof

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.