AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I have a sony str-v444es. I have read it does not have enough badwidth to do 1080i or 480p. I canot find the actual spec though. here is data I have found so far. I am leaning toward the onkyo tx-ds696 just because of the price

Sony[*]STR-V444ES ????[*]STR-V555ES ????
DENON[*]AVR-3801 27MHz [*]AVR-4800 20MHz[*]AVR-5800 50MHz

ONKYO[*]TX-DS696 50MHz[*]TX-DS787 50MHz[*]TX-DS989 50MHz

YAMAHA[*]RX-V1 100MHz (unverified)

HARMAN KARDON[*]AVR-510 8MHz (in manual think it is refering to s-video video)[*]AVR-7000 10MHz(in manual think it is refering to s-video video)[*]AVR-8000 ???? SAYS IT WILL DO IT

[This message has been edited by hognutz (edited 06-01-2001).]

·
Registered
779 Posts
I think your sources are wrong, the 444es works fine as a component switch between HD components.

I have a 444es too and I currently have a hd-100 on one input and the JVC progressive scan dvd player on the other feeding a 10ht projector. The hd-100 is set to upconvert everything to 1080i because the projector will not adjust to the variable output mode without manual intervention. I think the dvd play is 480p.

Based on my experience you will have no problems in using the 444es. I have a/b tested directly connect the the stb vs running it through the 444es and could observe no difference in picture quality. My only complaint is that I wish it had 3 component inputs. I have been thinking about adding the xbox or a ps2 and when/if I do I will have to add an external component switch. I was also disappointed by my own ignorance, I thought the 444es would convert the svideo and composite for output to one video source i.e. the component output. As I discovered it will only switch between like input/output combinations and the onscreen display does not work through the component outputs. I do not know if the osd will work on the svideo connector but it does work on the composite video. I ended up running a composite cable to the projector to support this, which ended up being very useful when I wanted to test a piece of equipment or attach a video camera to the video 3 port on the front of the 444es.

Good luck

Regards,

Brian

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah I am getting rid on my sony anyway cause every time I change channels with my optical output connected from my sat if makes a nice popping noise. I know that it does to have enough bandwith to do 1080i. there are only two 1080i (which I am sure you know) I know that a 480i upconversion will no way look as good as an actual 1080i broadcast. so when you are on channel 509 (I think is the hbo) you see no difference????

·
Registered
695 Posts
Let me know if you find a receiver that doesn't do that popping sound on the optical audio line. My JVC does the same thing on everything... dvd's or satellite. Has something to do with sync, I believe. Some components handle it better than others. My old Sony dvd player popped VERY loudly. My Toshiba dvd player isn't as loud, but it still pops. I'd like to find a receiver that doesn't do this, if it's possible.

[This message has been edited by Randy Boecker (edited 06-01-2001).]

·
Registered
779 Posts
Sorry to hear about your popping problem I am using the toslink interface and experience no popping. I wonder if it is a problem with your components.

I was confused by your upconverted i1080 comments. 509 hbohd broadcasts at 1080i for all material. At the headend they upconvert sd material to 1080i for transmission. I believe the 199 is also broadcasted at 1080i. If you were to a/b 501 and 509 even with my stb upconverting 501 to 1080i there is a huge difference in PQ between the two. Perhaps my point was confusing in my original post, I experience no quality difference with native HD 1080i source material going through the 444es.

What STB are you using that you are getting pops when you change channles? I know the HD-100 does not do that with the 444es. Not that I would recommend that box, it has lots of other problems. I am getting a Hughes Platinum HIRD-E86 to replace it so I would like to know if you have that box, mits or tosh as they are essentially the same box and I would not find popping acceptable.

Regards,

Brian

Regards,

Brian

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well I think that is is the str-v444es causing the popping because I used to have a harman kardon avr 65 hooked up and it did not pop back through the speakers when I changed channels. It is an rca (thompson) DRD515RB third gen dss reciever. I ordered and onkyo tx-ds696. we will see. It pisses me off how week sony's info is on there products. lets do the math it takes between 30 and 37 mhz bandwith for 1080i. what does the sony actually have????? I can't find it. Same way the the harman kardon recieves (avr510,avr7000) not actual bandwith spec. But like you said it may not be that visible.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'll throw my fish in the fire here http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif I also have the 444es and I use the component switching between the HD100 and the s9000es progressive DVD player. I'm also using the optical connections and the picture is sweet and I don't get any popping. Just wanted to let ya know that my setup works fine.

------------------

SAT-HD100 KP-61HS10 STR-V444ES DVP-S9000ES

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
must have just got a bad box. it even pops through the speakers when changing scenes on dvd's. when I play audio or mp3's though my dvd it dose the same thing. do you just run a vga to component conector from your DTC-100???? or do you have to have a special converter???

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
updated the first post. I still can't find the spec on the sony. I found so other specs. does anyone know the actuall bandwidth required for hdtv? I have heard all of the following 20mhz, 30mhz, 37mhz. I am glad to see that some people are using the sony ok. I like sony but they are piss poor with thier documentation. Denon, onkyo, Harman Kardon (the hk figures seem low to me though) have this info burried in their manual. I am going to go home tonight and did back into mine.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
ATSC uncompressed HDTV is about 36mHz, but don't get stuck on a specific number. Headroom is needed to be sure the entire signal is passed without clipping. In the computer world, a 3:1 ratio is considered correct, so for HDTV you'll need about 100mHz in any component. This includes cables, connectors, switchers, etc. As always the weakest link will determine final performance.

In the real world, I would guess anything with 35+mHz will do the job, but most current HDTV displays/monitors will not let you see the difference anyway. This explains why many people say it's fine to use receivers that have lesser bandwidth specs for HDTV, meaning they couldn't see the difference because of their display.

------------------

"better living thru modern expensive electronics"

tm

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sold the sony on ebay. ordered the onkyo. It has 50mhz so If I ever upgrade my tv or setup it should to the trick.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.