AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
What did the 657 weigh? Some match it's weight.

There was a downward trend in the 600 series for awhile. I thought they reversed it a bit with a recent 600 series.

I think I just got rid of a 657...was a nice unit. Replaced it with 800 series, but was not 100% pleased with something about the sound. Not sure what's changed. The 800 series I bought is a nice unit. So it's hard for me to imagine that it's not up to the same level as the older model.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I picked up a Pioneer Elite in Costco the other day and had to laugh, light as a feather. Same with Denons and Pioneers in BB. My Integra 8.2 and my now DTR 40.2 are double the weight of the Denons and Pioneers, at least the ones I looked at in BB. Also had a good laugh when the BB salesperson said there is no receiver out there that weighs over 13lbs....

Jeff

·
Premium Member
8,005 Posts
Never heard of Demon. Sounds evil.

·
Registered
354 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyc1 /forum/post/20768248

I have a 6 year old YAM AV Receiver RX-V 657 which is very heavy, why are today's comparably reeceivers so lite ??

Yes, how heavy is it? Also, there is a lot of plastic nowadays, electronics have gotten smaller, etc. etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pronghorn/az /forum/post/20768358

Also had a good laugh when the BB salesperson said there is no receiver out there that weighs over 13lbs..

LOL.

Hopefully, this wasn't an employee at their "Magnolia" section

Then again...

·
Registered
29,315 Posts
even the A/V receivers in the regular section of Best Buy weigh more than 13 lbs.

Quote:
I picked up a Pioneer Elite in Costco the other day and had to laugh, light as a feather.

The Pioneer Elite at Costco is the VSX-31 which is basically a rebadged VSX-1020. Nothing special about that one at all except the $299 price. In fact it only has a 245 watt power supply.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Weight isn't the be-all end-all of quality, plastics can contribute to less weight, as well as changes in UI (less heavy knobs and pots, more lightweight buttons or the removal of buttons entirely) as well as changes in how cases are built. Some of the newer receivers I've seen at BB or similar have incredibly thin cabinets, that doesn't change anything about the amplifier or decoder stages, but it will reduce weight. I've seen similar trends with desktop and portable computers over time - old full tower ATX systems can anchor a boat, modern aluminum towers with all plastic facades can be thrown around by the wind; the internals haven't really changed much in terms of weight.

In an ideal world, or at least one version of an ideal world, Class D amplifiers and active cooling would be employed - which would bring the weight down substantially - but I've yet to see a receiver do this in a cost effective manner. There are some stand-alone amplifiers that pull this off though, like the Rotel RMB-1575 (11kg, 250/500x5). Incredibly expensive though. Compare that to an Emotiva XPA-5 (30kg, 200/300x5) or Parasound A/52 (36kg, 250/400x5).

Some of the "lighter" units available, like the newer Sony receivers, actually post respectable numbers alongside heavier counterparts, for whatever it's worth.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/20769415

I haven't seen the newest Sony receivers but the recent ones have not posted respectable numbers in bench test. Hence the reason not a lot of love for Sony around here.
http://www.hometheater.com/content/s...-labs-measures
http://www.hometheater.com/content/s...-labs-measures

I'm not saying run out and buy either (and I'm not saying anything one way or another about Sony), but neither is exceptionally heavy (the DN1000 is under 20 lbs) and both are able to provide respectable output #'s for their price ranges.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.