AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Yammy Rx-v1800 lost the video [grrrr!] after my warranty period expired. Time for a new receiver. It took me plenty of time and money to set up the HTPC using an i7, Asus SC, watercooling, TMT3 etc. I'd like to NOT have to fiddle so much on my next receiver to get the HD codecs to work.

Any recommendations as to the receiver that is PC friendly?

Currently looking at the Marantz SR-7005 and the Denon AVR-3311CI as a replacement.

·
Registered
181 Posts
My Pioneer Elite VSX-23TXH works just fine with my HTPC (as well as everything else I connect to it). It's a discontinued model, but may still be available. I'd imagine that the replacement model would work as well.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'd go with anything by Harman/Kardon. I love mine, and wouldn't buy anything else. I have it hooked up to my HTPV via optical audio, and it auto-switches depending on what format the audio stream coming in is.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I have the Onkyo 3008 connected via HDMI to a 55XX series video card. Streaming works perfectly with all the HD (and normal) codecs. I'm not having any power on/off issues, no dropouts.. Basically, it's working correctly for me (this is the FIRST HDMI setup I've ever had that's been pretty much trouble free).

Anyway, it's just my personal experience, there are plenty out there that will work for you. I hear lots of good things about the Pioneer 1120 (I think) model, that seems to be working well for lots of people. Really, the only one I've really heard lots of HDMI issues with recently is the Denon 4311. I really wanted that AVR, but, unfortunately, seems they have some bugs in the HDMI section for some folks..

My review goes through more details on the 3008, in case your interested.

·
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjfink /forum/post/19629902

I have the Onkyo 3008 connected via HDMI to a 55XX series video card. Streaming works perfectly with all the HD (and normal) codecs. I'm not having any power on/off issues, no dropouts.. Basically, it's working correctly for me (this is the FIRST HDMI setup I've ever had that's been pretty much trouble free).

Anyway, it's just my personal experience, there are plenty out there that will work for you. I hear lots of good things about the Pioneer 1120 (I think) model, that seems to be working well for lots of people. Really, the only one I've really heard lots of HDMI issues with recently is the Denon 4311. I really wanted that AVR, but, unfortunately, seems they have some bugs in the HDMI section for some folks..

My review goes through more details on the 3008, in case your interested.

Thanks everyone! Fixing the handshake problems of my previous receiver took an inordinate amount of time. I don't expect plug and play, however I'd like to make sure that the receiver will work as expected.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by doinmybestatlast /forum/post/19628415

My Yammy Rx-v1800 lost the video [grrrr!] after my warranty period expired. Time for a new receiver.

How old is it?

If its happened for the first time it might just be bloated capacitors on the board or simply the HDMI board itself.

It might be worth it to get it checked out at a local service center.

Probably be a lot cheaper than a new one.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I'm with the last poster about just how "lost" is the video? I'm running an Onkyo 803 myself for HDMI and DD & DTS audio... the 803 has no DolbyTruHD or DTS-MA like current models... if I were buying I'd still shop Onkyo in about the $600 (out the door) range that does all the latest audio as well as upconverting any old video - although, that may not be important as I have HD sources throughout... I could break out my VHS recorder for a blast from the past!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts