AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....Why You Let Your Television Displays Look So AWFUL!

Please, can someone just give me a little insight into the thinking here?

What is one of the most consistent gripes we all have about trying to judge a TV monitor's performance in the store? It is, of course, that the

monitors are so often poorly displayed.

It doesn't seem to matter if I'm wandering through a super-store with a hundred tvs, or a high-end store with only five TVs on display. Most of the time the television images look like crap (relative to what they are capable of).

Now I can understand, to a degree, the problem with a super store, who choose to split a feed to a giant wall of TVs. That's just killing the TV's chances right at the feed...but I suppose it must be done sometimes.

What kills me is how often the screens look like crap simply because no one has taken two minutes to fiddle with the picture controls. The color is blooming, the contrast and brightness is off - the picture looks like a mess.

And yet, typically there are salesmen leaning on a counter somewhere, looking bored...as if they have something better to do than help the TVs they are TRYING TO SELL at least look good to the customer.

I just don't get it. If I owned an A/V store, the first bloody thing I'd do every time I fired the TVs up in the morning is to make sure the picture looks OK. And if it doesn't, I'd do something about it. I'd check again later, after any customers (or salesmen) fiddled with the picture controls.

This makes sense doesn't it? These guys are trying to sell TVs, aren't they?

Please, someone, stop my pain and give me an explanation of this strange, self-defeating behavior.

Rich H.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I hope you're not including me in this group! I'm definitely one of those smaller 'specialty' retailers, but all my display models are completely calibrated. In fact, every HD set that I sell ships fully calibrated. This was even part of my business plan and the bank loved it after it was explained to them.

So, I certainly agree with you about all those other stores, but it's actually to my advantage :)

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Hmmmm I live in Toronto and the stores that I shop at have a Satellite feed going into their TV(s) so right off the bat you will be getting better quality than regular cable even if it isn't split.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Eric, that's just because cable doesn't pass most commercial areas so these retailers have little choice but to install a satellite dish. I'm kind of in the opposite position though...I have a satellite feed but would rather have cable since Rogers has all those HD channels available.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Most people don't know better. I took my AVIA calibration disk to a friends house, set up his new DVD player and calibrated his set for him. It never looked better.

They always watch their TV with a light on behind them that shines right into the screen and they leave their drapes open, allowing bright sunlight to bounce off the screen. I closed the drapes, turned off the light and turned one on behind the TV and they thought it looked very good.

Next time I go back, they've upped the brightness, opened the curtains, turned the light back on and tell me they just can't watch TV in the dark!

At least they are sticking to watching OAR movies without zooming them to full screen.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I also have noticed this over in the UK and couldnt understand it.

Perhapes there is out there a magical country that gets it right!

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
I've noticed alot of retailers will show a cheaper set with the color way up and the contrast at 100%. (unwatchable). The more expensive set will be somewhat adjusted as well as untrained eyes can make it.

Dave

·
Registered
533 Posts
Around our area, the big chain stores tend to adjust the sets to look better by what profit margain they will make the most money on. Pretty sad when an RCA looks better than the Sony sitting next to it. It is politics. Money makes the world go round.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Quote:
Around our area, the big chain stores tend to adjust the sets to look better by what profit margain they will make the most money on. Pretty sad when an RCA looks better than the Sony sitting next to it. It is politics. Money makes the world go round.
CKAUDIO, you are correct. Unfortunately I have also heard and have direct evidence that the big chains do exactly that. That is the sets with the higher profit margins are made to look better and the sets with less profit (for the sales agent mind you) are made to look worse.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
When I asked a friend of mine at a store about this TV vs. that TV, he told me "I can make this one look worse than that one." ?!?!?!? Now why the hell would I care about that?! I don't care how bad you can make a TV look, I want to know how good it can look. And this guy knows me. We are both "experts" in the field of AV.

Sometimes you just have to shake your head in disbelief and walk away.

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
My favorite is when I go to my local Best Buy store and there are signs everywhere that say "DIGITAL TV!" and "HIGH DEFINITION TV!" that clearly lead people to believe that is what they are watching when all the while they are actually feeding all the sets with some modulated crappy looking low resolution signal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.