AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to pull the trigger (at least I hope so this time), just have to decide if the extra cost of the Fuji 50 versus the Pio 503 can be justified in my mind. My real issue is the set up. I will be buying a new receiver, DVD player and utilize Time Warner Cable analog/Digital/HD which requires as I undstand it from TWC I use two different boxes. I will use an existing VCR. I may add an OTA HD unit as well but for now the above is my plan to start.

The issue is how to make this acceptable to the wife. I need as easy a switching as possible. I was leaning toward a receiver (like a Denon) that does component switching (and converting) where basically you could switch the audio and video between the sources with the push of one button. If this works as I think (kinda dangerous) I believe it will pass the WAF.

Who out there had to plan their system around "ease of use" and what method did you choose?

Thanks, and let me add that I have been reading posts here for a long time and really feel a lot more comfortable with this technology as a result of the outstanding information on this board.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I wanted to use the DVI connection for my DirecTV HD receiver, so that meant no matter what else I had, the DVI cable was going direct to the Fujitsu P50 from the satellite receiver. That made the availability of component inputs less important on a receiver. In fact, my receiver has just 2, and one is used by an ExpressVu 6000 receiver and the other by a DVD player. I could have just connected them directly to the P50 if my receiver didn't switch any component inputs. So technically, I have one more component input available by running a line to the P50.

To coordinate everything, I'm using a Home Theater Master MX-700 programmed with macros so when I switch to a different activity, it sends out the proper commands to reconfigure the inputs on the P50 at the same time reconfiguring the inputs of the A/V receiver.

Operationally, everything remains a single button press to move between configurations, and a single button press to turn everything on or off.

It works great. I went with a Harman Kardon AVR-525 receiver because it seemed the best value in terms of offering the almost all the Dolby Digital modes including 5.1 and, and also had the Logic 7 mode for non-DD sources. It has 3 optical and 3 coaxial PCM audio inputs. I'm using optical-to-coaxial converters on two of the coax inputs (under $24 each) because all my equipment has optical outputs, none have coaxial, and the receivers I found with more built-in optical inputs were significantly more expensive than the $633 I paid for the AVR-525.

Whatever receiver you choose, do consider the MX-700 remote (or even its kid brother the MX-500 -- with a caveat to get the 3rd party package to let you program it via computer) to control everything. It simplifies operation of everything and eliminates every single original remote, even for the most esoteric of remote controlled functions on any device, without making it less convenient to get to them. One other nice thing with the MX-700 is you can program 50 favorite channels in as individual labeled buttons, and it's easy to conigure it so all your devices get switched properly when you pick a channel, so you become even less connected to remembering "which device do I need to select first to get to the channel I want to watch."

As to convincing your wife... offering to let her spend as much money on something she wants as you're spending on something you want often does the trick most easily... or you could avoid a major budget attack and "share" the P50 expense and agree she can spend as much as you spend on the accessories. :) Same concept though... Bribe her!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.