AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pieced together a system to control and view a Tivo from a standard Web browser that I thought some of you might be interested. While I did this with a Tivo, it could just as easily be done with any remote control A/V device. I posted a similar thread on Tivocommunity but there wasn’t much interest except for a few newbie questions. I’d be interested to see if anyone here has done something similar.

This is what the interface looks like in a 50% screen shot.
http://64.106.229.59/notsm.jpg

Here’s what you need to make it work…

In general you need, a remote control A/V device (in this case I used a DirecTivo), a PC with remote control software, a LAN, a Web server, a GUI, an IR transmitter/receiver, a high quality video stream, and some miscellaneous items like a firewall depending on your setup.

More specifically, I used…
  • A Tira USB IR transmitter and receiver that cost $40
  • Girder to learn the IR codes from my existing remote and then re-transmit them via control triggers.
  • The Girder Internet event server is included with girder
  • A Girder Internet event client. There are examples posted here . I used the vb/asp example that Jim Hughes supplied and this worked quite well. There are other examples using perl, etc. but I haven’t tried them.
  • A Web based GUI and a Web server to serve the pages and graphics. I used Windows 2000 server with IIS to process the asp pages. You could also do this with another platform with perl scripts.
  • Streaming video. I am using an Axis 2400 video server that is an existing part of my home security system. It provides real-time 30fps streaming video for up to 4 sources. It costs about $1100 but they have a single port version for $700. I think it may be possible to get good results with PC based streaming software and I’m experimenting. I have had some success so far with Apple’s free QuickTime streaming server on a Mac. Apple also has a port called Darwin streaming server that will run on Windows and Linux. I haven’t tried either yet. Windows media encoder and realserver might work too.
  • A Radio Shack / Powermid wireless IR transmitter to extend the Tira’s range from the PC to my A/V equipment.
  • A standard Web browser for control/viewing. I’ve tested on a number of browsers on Mac and PC and even a wireless T-mobile sidekick for basic functions.

What do I use it for?
  • Remote Tivo control including remote scheduling, check season passes, deleting suggestions, and scanning through suggested records to decide whether to keep.
  • Remote control when I can’t find the darn MX-500
  • HDTV antenna pointing from the attic with wifi laptop!
  • Satellite dish pointing outside
  • I could use it watch shows but haven’t included sound yet

·
Registered
603 Posts
I'm definitely interested in this. I'm just waiting for them to make a HDTV/Directivo box so I don't need more than one receiver. Looks good. How did you make the tivo display in the webpage? Is it a java applet?

Tom

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No applet. I just embedded the stream in the html table as if it was a graphic.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.