AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There seems to be myriad options on networking audio and video. I know a little but probably just enough to be dangerous. I think I just need a simple solution but thought I might miss an opportunity to improve what I want for not too much money. So, I am coming to the experts to get some advice.

What I have:

I have all of my music stored on an external HD that is plugged directly to my computer and I run iTunes as the player. I am not a die hard iTunes fan...I came to this situation b/c I thought I would put all of my music on one device (80GB ipod) and just port the ipod to what ever system I wanted to he hear my library. i.e. play on my outdoor stereo, in the car etc. This works ok as a "set it and forget it" option but there is no way to control iTunes remotely. I did just download the "Remote" application for iPhone and it works well at controlling iTunes (even Volume) on the computer speakers but I would like the same functionallity on the outdoor stereo (and possibly my main home theater stereo). For my network I am using a Linksys-G Range Plus Router WRT-110 (just bought it and could swap if need be). It may not really help but I also have a PS3 for Blu-Ray player but during setup it didn't recognize the music library (maybe because it is on a non-networked external HD plugged in via USB)

What I want:

I would like to have all of my music, pictures, and other media files on a media drive like the Linksys NAS200 or HP media hub etc. It would be nice to use this device as a shared network drive and back up drive too. I have considered getting the Linksys Music Bridge-WMB54G to provide a WI-FI connection between the computer/media drive and the outdoor stereo but have heard it can be problematic (setup issues and gaps in playback). Instead of using iPhone as remote, it might also be nice to be able to take and old laptop and put it out back and use it as a jukebox control-basically just let people sort through the library and pick songs or create playlists during a party. But I am not exactly sure how best to accomplish this. Lastly, I have no consideration for video in this scenario. This would be nice but also might be cost prohibitive/not good enough quality to worry about. I just thought as I am doing this I should consider it.

The quickest/cheapest/easiest solution might be to just get the Linksys Music Bridge and be done with it but as I said I thought there might be a better way.

Can anyone recommend:

A wireless media drive/network drive?

The WMB54G Music Bridge or other similar solution?

A better router for this application? / Do I really need a N-router?

A good way to include Video networking in this type setup?

General setup ideas?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice. This site is such a great resource!

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Have you looked at Sonos or the Logitech Squeezebox Duet. They don't store music but work from your network to wirelessly control music from your computer or the internet. What's unique is that they have remotes that have a display similar to the Ipod which list all you music, allows you to select any for listening, and also shows what's playing. Your can have a separate receiver box in each room, each playing different music.

If you want to store your music on a network drive, Sonos will work with just about any drive, while the Squeezebox requires a drive that can run it's Squeezebox software. But the Sonos is about twice as expensive.

I just got a Squeezebox Duet and it seems to work well. I hooked it into my NuVo house audio system. There are some interesting internet music sources such as Pandora and Rhapsody that can be directly accessed from the Squeezebox (and probably the Sonos also).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I have briefly looked at the Squeezebox. It looks like just a wireless link with a nice user interface. No additional storage I guess. Does it work with multiple libraries like iTunes or Windows MP etc?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovin hd /forum/post/14275845

Does it work with multiple libraries like iTunes or Windows MP etc?

I believe they do but Squeezebox doesn't work with DRM music files such as those purchased from iTunes or Zune. I believe Sonos supports Zune but not iTunes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I don't think that will work for me. I don't have a lot of songs purchased from iTunes, but nothing would be more frustrating than having music you can't listen to after going through all of this. It also seems a little expensive when I can just get a $80music link for the stereo and use my iPhone as the remote. I'm just thinking there may be a good way to incorporate video at the same time. I also would really like to have a wireless HD (NAS or the like) to keep everything in one place. If I get that, it may be a different scenario. Thanks for the replies, Carl!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does anyone have any experience with the QNAP TS-109 II devices? This looks like a really good NAS box that might do the trick. The website mentions they actually have an iTunes sharing capability in the software. Most of these NAS are Linux, does that pose a problem for someone who isn't familiar with Linux?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovin hd /forum/post/14276190

Does anyone have any experience with the QNAP TS-109 II devices? This looks like a really good NAS box that might do the trick. The website mentions they actually have an iTunes sharing capability in the software. Most of these NAS are Linux, does that pose a problem for someone who isn't familiar with Linux?

I haven't used one, but I think the Linux is pretty well transparent to the user when you're using it as a NAS.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Netgear (formerly Infrant) ReadyNAS NV+ which can act as an itunes server. I use a Mac Mini connected to my TV as the interface. Works for me, sync the itunes playlists with ipod to play in the car.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Anyone have any experience using the WMB54G Music Bridge? Its a TON cheaper than the Squeezebox so I'm considering it. How's the connections/SQ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts