AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello

I am from colombia, i see this subwoofer velodyne hgs 18 a 400us.

I would please me to recommend if 400us is a good buy or is it better to buy a new subwoofer as the svs PB1000,
Right now I have a subwoofer MFW15 AV123 and Sony STR-DN850 , I will feel the difference?

The subwoofer sell here in Colombia , for that reason I would save shipping charges . The other thing is that the seller tells me that the subwoofer model is a HGX 18 .

My idea is to have something with more quality and power MFW15 of the AV123 , and then took me to the VELODYNE is better than the one I have and therefore cheaper , but my indecision is whether it will be worth it .

thank you very much for your help

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
The HGS-18 was a great sub, and still is.

However if the amplifier dies on you, I doubt Velodyne have a spare amp anymore- and the cost would be astronomical. Also it's a servo subwoofer so you cannot convert it to passive, with an external amp. Plus if the servo mech breaks that is something else. I believe as well when the amp is changed it needs to go back to the factory, calibrating the servo or something like that.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Hello

I am from colombia, i see this subwoofer velodyne hgs 18 a 400us.

I would please me to recommend if 400us is a good buy or is it better to buy a new subwoofer as the svs PB1000,
Right now I have a subwoofer MFW15 AV123 and Sony STR-DN850 , I will feel the difference?

thank you very much for your help
If it is a good buy or not is subjective. If you were in the USA, and the subwoofer worked fine, then it is superior to anything you would find at that price point. The thing to remember is the subwoofer is could be anywhere from 11-16 years old at this point. While the technology hasn't changed dramatically, the components do breakdown, replacement parts become scarce, and when you transport the unit out of the country, anything could happen in transit and spare parts are going to be even harder to come by in Columbia.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it is a good buy or not is subjective. If you were in the USA, and the subwoofer worked fine, then it is superior to anything you would find at that price point. The thing to remember is the subwoofer is could be anywhere from 11-16 years old at this point. While the technology hasn't changed dramatically, the components do breakdown, replacement parts become scarce, and when you transport the unit out of the country, anything could happen in transit and spare parts are going to be even harder to come by in Columbia.
The subwoofer is sold in Colombia for that reason I would save some shipping cost 350us

1 - 4 of 4 Posts