AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize as I am sure this question has been asked many times in the past but this forum is massive and finding it via search was frustrating...

I am looking for a receiver for my home theatre. Simple 5.1 with Polk in wall/ceiling speakers. I was wondering what recommendations are out there in the $4-500 price range.

TIA,

Scott

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
You have many at this price point. If hdmi is not an issue check out the Yamaha HTR-5960 or rxv-659. If you do want hdmi, Denon, Marantz and Onkyo have units around your price range.

It's hard to narrow it down any more than that without knowing what your looking for, I can say, stick with Onkyo, Denon, Pioneer, Marantz, HK or Yamaha and you should be fine.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Do you want just HDMI pass-through (where the receiver must receive audio via optical or digital coax or analogs), or do you want the receiver to process audio received via HDMI? If the former, almost any receiver with HDMI will suit your needs. If the latter, there are fewer choices.

I just picked up a JVC RX-D401S (the 401B, 411/412, and 702 are all similar), and it suits my needs quite well: 2 HDMI inputs (and processing audio from HDMI, not just switching/pass-through), transcoding to HDMI from other video inputs, good enough power, enough other inputs, etc. Others in the price range with similar features are the Onkyo 604 and Panny XR-57 (the Panny XR-700 might be in you range for street prices). The Denons, Yamahas and Pioneers in your range will not process audio from HDMI, AFAIK. If that isn't important, then look at them.

As usual, your one question leads to many more...

shinksma

·
Registered
72 Posts
Here are 5 I'm considering, all are under $600 on-line and all have full HDMI upscalling. If you can live with just HDMI passthru or don't need the analog upscalling there are other choices from these same manufacturers that are

Onkyo TX-SR674

JVC RX-D702b or 412b (only $350, but no on screen setup menus)

Denon AVR 2307CI

Yamaha HTR-5990

Trying to sift thru all the data and pick one myself - good luck !!!

BTW - the cNet site has any models rated & is very useful.

Sorry, can't post URL's yet, don't have my 5 posts
just add the triple w in fromt & com on the end !

·
Registered
3,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karter74 /forum/post/0

I appreciate the return questions. Helps me to learn about what I am spending my money on.

I want to capture the audio. So the latter.

I'm not sure whether the Denon and Yammy that MikeD2 has on his list process audio, but the others are certainly good suggestions. Check out everything on his list.

One thing to keep in mind is how many HDMI inputs you want. If you want more than one, then avoid the Pannys I listed (they have just one HDMI input, for some bizarre reason) - the Onkyo and JVC models are all good with two, though I do wish they had three or four.

If you don't mind multiple cables going to your TV, then the Onkyo 604 is a good choice, IMHO. If you want to reduce the number of cables to the TV to one (and not have to switch the TV input when you switch the receiver input) then look for a transcoding receiver (a.k.a. "upconverting" in the brochures, but sometimes it just converts to HDMI, not upscales to 1080i/p), such as one of the JVCs or the Onkyo 674.

I'd suggest you scan around the forum to see what other receivers have to offer in your price range, and to check what features the various models have or lack that you'd like. It took me a while to make a choice that was "good enough" and at the price I liked. (With enough money to throw at the problem, you don't need to take much time to decide.)

shinksma

·
Registered
55 Posts
Both the Yamaha and Denon that mike mentioned do full HDMI audio and video. on top of that Denon also has the 887 which is almost identicle to the 2307 but a little less expensive about $100. There is also the Sony STR-DG1000 in the same price ramge.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.