AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have had my UTV for a while, running 3.5 etc. And I just found the coolest problem.

Now this will take a second to explain but, I recorded a number of episodes of the Invisble Man, and now they all have the really great title thing and it lists them all, well tonight I want to record an episode I already recorded off of SCI-FI, and record it off the local channel here that is showing it.

But guess what... It says that shows already been recordered. Please view it, but you can't record it again?

So shows with the same episode title CAN'T be recorded again? I know this seems like a silly bug, but it was damn funny when I was playing with it.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks,

Kelvington

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think this will work:

1) Set up the normal recurring episodes (on SCIFI) for an 'Auto Record'

2) Set up the local channel for 'Series Record' or just 'One-Time Record'

I believe the UTV will then create 2 separate lists, both with the same name - "The Invisible Man" - each containing episodes from their own recording list.

Let us know if this works - I'm interested.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Are you trying to record a show that has already been recorded and is on your hard disk? If so delete the one on your hard disk first... This has nothing to do with repeat setting.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the great suggestions, the reason I wanted to have both copies of the same episode on the system was incase one might start a little early.

Oddly after I deleted the old one, it "allowed" me to record the new one, but of course it started to record about 30 seconds late, and it didn't group it with the other episodes.

I think since it's Microsoft it must be a "Feature" and not a bug.

Thanks Again,

---Kelvington

·
Registered
78 Posts
UTV uses tag numbers attached to programs to know whether or not to record a program. If you have a Series record set, UTV will not record a program if it already exists on your hard drive. This is by design to prevent you from filling up your disks with programs you already have.

For example, let's say that VH-1 broadcasts the "Top 100 Videos of All Time" in five parts, each part covering 20 items from the Top 100 list. VH-1 will schedule each part to run multiple times over the week. For example, part one may air Monday night at 9pm and again on Tuesday night at 8pm, right before part two. If you set a series record for the "Top 100" program, you will see that UTV will try to record both airings of part one. However, when the time comes to record the second airing of part one, UTV will see that it is already on your hard drive and not record it. (UTV assumes that you are not going to watch a program immediately after recording it.) So, if all goes well, by the end of the week, you will find all five parts on your hard drive, each part having been recorded only once.

This has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not you have selected "do not record repeats" or not.

The one big caveat is that this is dependent on the program guide information. If the program guide is not correct, or VH-1 decides to air part two when a rebroadcast of part one appears on the guide, you could end up with two copies of part one and none of part two. But this is because the progam, as appears in the guide, was supposed to be part two. UTV has no way of actually knowing that it has recorded the same episode twice. If something like this happened, and you really wanted to see part two, and if you caught it in time, you could set a one-time record for a rebroadcase of part two (assuming there is a rebroadcast scheduled and that the guide information is correct this time).

·
Registered
151 Posts
It's my understanding that you should be able to "One Touch Record" the duplicate program even if it is already on your hard disk. "One Touch Record" can be done by highlighting the cell of the program in the guide and pressing the record button once. The cell will be marked with a single red dot. If you already tried that and it didn't work then just do a manual recording. That is guaranteed to work.

To do a Manual Record press "Options" -> "Search" -> "Manual Record"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.