1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
So, on the one hand, this is unbelievably cool... The first real roll-up display that one can imagine becoming for sale.

On the other hand, the rate of progress for E.ink has been so unbelievably slow (it's already been claiming this kind of stuff is possible for years) that it's hard to imagine that this variant of the flexible display is going to be the one that someday reaches the living room...

The current technology still only offers: monochrome (1-bit, on-off), incredibly slow refresh (nothing remotely close to being able to display animation, let alone full-motion video), very small sizes (5 inches is nice, but it's not a laptop replacement, you know?).

I have, several times, explained that there are not moments of what is called "discontinuous technology" in the display business. It took several years for LCD to get established, let alone TFT-LCD. It took a half decade to effectively commercialize DLP. This is a cautionary tale for all the OLED stuff -- which, as you can see, is taking years and years to develop any side at all. But it's also a cautionary tale for FED/SED/NED, which is based on decade-plus-old technology and hasn't reached the market.

I don't expect we'll see any discontinuous -- i.e. price/performance breakthrough at release -- display technology this decade. But what we will see is potentially 3-5 dramatically new technologies that will begin to become relevant over that same period, especially where their strength allows a unique niche.

Mark

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo
it's hard to imagine that this variant of the flexible display is going to be the one that someday reaches the living room...
Its not targeted at the living room. The target is mobile and industrial.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
"Its not targeted at the living room. The target is mobile and industrial."

I know. But the dream is bigger, even at E.Ink.

They will not own the living room is all I'm saying.

Mark

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
plus this is a site dedicated to A/V WRT HT. So if you did post it here I would guess that your intention would have been (at least partially) WRT using it as an HT display device.

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
But Rogo, I think it going in production is big news. If the market likes it then there will be demand for improvement and more money goes into development and more research. I am sure until know it must had been someone pet project, and the main goal was to make it cost affordable to produce and bug free.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Anthony, it's awesome that someone is producing something. And the technology to print the circuitry on the plastic is at last becoming real (although in this case, it's only part of the circuitry).

My point about E.Ink is that their pixels are not a winning way to make video, color, whatnot. They will crack the color problem, but I doubt they will ever get near video. OLEDs on the flexible substrate seem orders of magnitude more likely to do that.

Good news is that Philips has a mess of OLED research through their JV with LG to make TFT-LCDs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.