AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taking a generic survey here.. i'm into this mode of thinking of dumping cable to save on the expense, as i dont watch alot of TV, except for local sports (this would be an issue, but im sure there are ways around it).. I'm a bit behind the times on this question...

I have a HTPC win 7 media center setup which works well.. i also have an HD Homerun, which probably wont work once cable is off (though ill still have internet through cable)..

In the past i've found episodes from shows, avi's for instance, that arent really full HD or in dolby digital.

Is there something i havent looked into, to get the same quality as the feed from cable via the net.. pay per view.. even at say $1 a show, thats not too bad if you only watch say 3 shows a season...

I know there is apple TV, but i've heard the quality is only a bit better than DVD.. i really want the dolby digital as well..

Any thoughts out there?

·
Registered
7,654 Posts
I guess your looking for a pay service but theres always bitorrent. All the normal shows are available to download before they air on the west coast. Not everything in HD but pretty damn much. Anything worth a s*** at least is released in HD within hours of airing.

·
Registered
25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 /forum/post/17034676

I guess your looking for a pay service but theres always bitorrent. All the normal shows are available to download before they air on the west coast. Not everything in HD but pretty damn much. Anything worth a s*** at least is released in HD within hours of airing.

Bitorrent--torrenting in general--is an option, if you wanna go that way. There's obviously inherent risks, though, be they legal, computer security, or otherwise.

·
Registered
7,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacharace /forum/post/17034753

Bitorrent--torrenting in general--is an option, if you wanna go that way. There's obviously inherent risks, though, be they legal, computer security, or otherwise.

Yes this is true of course, I'd say computer security is pretty much non-existent as long as you are getting your stuff from reputable sites.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have yet to see a deactivated cable service where they actually cut the signal to the house. All they do here in these parts is take the cable box back. The wall jack is still live.

Case in point, my friend uses an HDHomeRun to receive unencrypted QAM from Time Warner yet has never paid for their service. I experienced the same at my previous two residences.

·
Registered
7,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by markm75 /forum/post/17035043

I've seen those torrent copies.. they are usually in the 350MB range for one hour and lacking dolby digital.... so, i thought maybe there was another source of good quality out there that i may be missing or unaware of.

Nevermind

·
Registered
7,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti /forum/post/17035452

Methods of piracy don't really belong on this forum.

Yah I know just trying to help a guy out, TS if you care about any of this pm me.

·
Registered
23,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 /forum/post/17035470

Yah I know just trying to help a guy out

Suggesting piracy isn't helping anyone out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsanga /forum/post/17035472

iTunes HD quality is typically 720p, but only Dolby Surround. Too bad, since IIRC, their trailers have multichannel AAC (software required to decoded multichannel AAC).

Some trailers do, some don't.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti /forum/post/17035571

legal methods of getting content include hulu and going straight to the networks (ABC does HD).

Hopefully more content providers will spin up HD streams.

The abc/networks, those are just web feeds though right? Not with dolby digital either.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by markm75 /forum/post/17035043

I've seen those torrent copies.. they are usually in the 350MB range for one hour and lacking dolby digital.... so, i thought maybe there was another source of good quality out there that i may be missing or unaware of.

Actually the 1 hour rips run about 1GB with AC3 audio.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/17035078

Have you tried just connecting an antenna to your HDhomerun to receive the local OTA Digital broadcasts?

good recomendation

also you can get shows not offered OTA by going to HULU.com - looks great but you have to watch a couple of adds.

No reason you cant kick the cable company to the curb

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Amazon Unbox now has several shows available in HD for $3 per episode. Between that and iTunes, your options are pretty limited for legal HD downloads.

There are plenty of illegal options for HD downloads, but as others have mentioned, this is not the place to discuss them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts