AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I have an external hard drive connected to my Dish VIP722 HDDVR, is there a way I can convert the movies I've saved on it and put them on my HTPC for longer term storage?

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
The files on the hard drive would be 'encrypted' to only work with your Dish DVR. Some complicated hack may exist out there, but unlikely, as I've never heard of talk around here about getting recordings from a Dish DVR to a HTPC - which would be quite a hot topic.

·
Registered
912 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD233 /forum/post/16974853

If I have an external hard drive connected to my Dish VIP722 HDDVR, is there a way I can convert the movies I've saved on it and put them on my HTPC for longer term storage?

No, not directly. The movies stored on the hard drive are encrypted and unless you find a way to decrypt them, you won't be able to do a bit for bit tranfer.

Your only other method is to capture the video as you play it back by using some kind of a capture card like the one mentioned by Tinker or some othe capture card using S-video output but quality will suffer (no High Def).

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
If you can output via component to your TV and get a picture, you can cap it using the Hauppaige HD PVR

·
Registered
48 Posts
Would using that even be smart? I most cases we dont own the equipment from Directv or Dish we just "Lease it" and a modification like that could get you into big trouble. I would think its better to just use a hauppauge hd-pvr and serial control via the usb to obtain the same functionality without a huge bill in the future.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedpolzin /forum/post/16975210

Would using that even be smart?

Well, that'd be the users call. I just pointed out it exists. I've never tried it and it is expensive. But, having the dish box as a tuner directly should be better than recording it's output.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 /forum/post/16976546

Except that won't help for already recorded stuff AFAIK.

No, it won't but in the future nothing would be already recorded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jack /forum/post/16975727

Hmm, Oct. 22nd.

Of course, we are all hoping that more info is announced next month at CEDIA but word on the street says Dish Network and M$ are working on a solution for Win 7.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2009/08/10...er-predictions

Ya, that would be a great solution and I could hope I'll even see a future version in Canada for ExpressVu making it worth having the service... Actually, no, I doubt Bell will bother with something like that.

Peter

·
Registered
3,162 Posts

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Older Dish PVRs, like the PVR 501, 508, 510, and a couple other models, recorded the shows unencrypted, unlike the DirecTV DVRs. I assume that's changed with their current PVRs like the VIP722 as I have not heard of a method for extracting shows from that model. It was simply a matter of pulling the drive from the PVR and installing it in your PC. They used a standard IDE drive, but the number of compatible models was very limited.

There were apps that recognized the drive and allowed you to move the recordings over to your PC's hard drive. All you had to do was configure the PVR with a removable hard drive cage and install an extra cage in your PC for easy installation. If you set up the PC's cage in an external USB enclosure then it made the task quite simple and you didn't have to shut down the PC to add the PVR's drive. You could easily edit the files using VideoReDo and then author them to DVD.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Off course friend you can record your favorite programs with dish tv HDR recorder, dish tv provides 2 types of satellite dth connection first one is SD(standard definition) and another one is HD(High Definition). SD connection doesn't have any port for recording but in HD connection there are two types of set-top box are available. In HD set-top box comes in inbuilt 500GB hard disk and another have only have usb port,there is only port not hard dish. So you can record your programs in pen drive or in external hard disk. And these programs will be record in full HD Resolution (1920x1080) with 1080i.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts