AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
over the last few weeks I've noticed that my sub has gotten weaker and weaker. I have an NHT 12" cant rember the model exactly. Actually I have two of them, and are both inop..and one step further, I actually have three NHT subs that are inop.


So my question is, should I send the boards up to MA and have them fixed for about $175 each, and run both the 12's in my living room or buy a new one.


Subs I'm looking at are SVS SB12PLus-for $649...and thats stretching it $ wise right now


Realistically I'm looking at a SVS PB12-NSD for $569


Or to throw a moneky into the mix, I can buy a new Energy 12.3 for about $340


Ultimatly I am getting a Submersive and that was my plan all along to get it sometime next summer. I'd do it now but I'm getting married so all the extra cash is kind of tied up right now.
So I need something to hold me over for about a year.


My room has tile floors, about 4200 sq ft. and would be pair with Energy RC's all around. I'm a bass head so the more the better, but I know for sub $600 range I'm not going to be house shaking until I get clearance from the lady to buy for Seaton.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
8,922 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 /forum/post/16846859


The ED A3-300 would be comparable to the PB12+ for only $550 (just has less power), or the ED A2-300 for $350 compred to the PB12 NSD.

In the only existing professional test of the A2-300 it didn't come close to the performance of the 2nd or 3rd generation PB-12 NSD that they sell now.


There have been revisions to that A2-300 (even though Ed denied there was anything wrong) when I questioned the test results.


Even so, the A2-300 may be just enough to get the OP through the next year.


The OP can get a better idea of how much performance he can get from a PB-12 NSD by looking here:
http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...formation.html
 

· Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
now that is an impressive graph of test results. I like it! Still dont know what the best bang for the buck is. Sometimes it would just be eaiser to hit a button on the screen and it just gives you the best option. Anyone make a working easy button yet?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
4,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/16846917


In the only existing professional test of the A2-300 it didn't come close to the performance of the 2nd or 3rd generation PB-12 NSD that they sell now.


There have been revisions to that A2-300 (even though Ed denied there was anything wrong) when I questioned the test results.


Even so, the A2-300 may be just enough to get the OP through the next year.


The OP can get a better idea of how much performance he can get from a PB-12 NSD by looking here:
http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...formation.html

The ED subs are comparable enough considering the price difference. The low power amps on these things seem to be the real output limiting factor.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,937 Posts
Buy the submersive now before you get married. A big speaker is a lot easier to negotiate into the picture before you have said the I do than after. Listen to my warning or you will be wondering what one sounds like years down the road. Besides, do you really need that prime rib at the reception?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anyone have any ideas what I can do with three NHT subs that dont work?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonnash /forum/post/16846968


Buy the submersive now before you get married. A big speaker is a lot easier to negotiate into the picture before you have said the I do than after. Listen to my warning or you will be wondering what one sounds like years down the road. Besides, do you really need that prime rib at the reception?

Haha, shes not like that. She actually loves my hobbies(drums, racing, etc) and lets me do what I want. We were looking at subs last night when I showed her the Submersive. The neighboors are two younger guys that have a sub in the corner of the house and it resonates like crazy into ours, damn desert construction. So when I told her if we got that, the ammout that we hear in our place would be more than double in thier place once we get that bastard.....she loved that idea, just need some sponsorship $$ I think.


And its not prime rib, its fillet mignon.
But for three course dinner its only $59 a head, thats not bad at all after pricing out all the other places here in PHX area.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,937 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattoofun /forum/post/16847042


Haha, shes not like that. She actually loves my hobbies(drums, racing, etc) and lets me do what I want. We were looking at subs last night when I showed her the Submersive. The neighboors are two younger guys that have a sub in the corner of the house and it resonates like crazy into ours, damn desert construction. So when I told her if we got that, the ammout that we hear in our place would be more than double in thier place once we get that bastard.....she loved that idea, just need some sponsorship $$ I think.


And its not prime rib, its fillet mignon.
But for three course dinner its only $59 a head, thats not bad at all after pricing out all the other places here in PHX area.

All a ploy. Negotiations to get that ring on her finger. It was just the same with mine and about a half dozen friends of mine's marriages. Not saying you won't get it, just trying to put an insurance clause in place. Good luck with the wedding btw. They are a headache until you walk down the aisle. Hope all the best to you and the new bride. And not trying to scare you, just pointing out what you will find out later on.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
6,468 Posts
If you plan is to buy a quality sub until you get the Submersive I'd go with the PB12-NSD now but if it's going to delay the Submersive I'd say wait. That's a chunk of change and a quality sub for the intension of using it as a stop gap until you get what you really want. That money would go a long way toward your ultimate goal in the end.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
4,633 Posts
Here is how I see your solution. If your ultimate goal is to get a Submersive, then spend as little as possible now. If in fact 2 of the NHTs can be made operational for $375 (does that include shipping), then that's what I would do for now. The savings would get you to a Submersive sooner. If it's going to cost more to fix the NHTs then I would spring for the PB12-NSD, eD A3-300, or even an HSU VTF2 Mk3. They would only be a year old if/when you get the Submersive, so they should have better resell value than the NHTs.


Now that I think about it, you're probably better off with a new sub as the resell value will make your total cost lower. Turn the NHTs into planter boxes.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,035 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattoofun /forum/post/16846605


Ultimatly I am getting a Submersive and that was my plan all along to get it sometime next summer. I'd do it now but I'm getting married so all the extra cash is kind of tied up right now.
So I need something to hold me over for about a year.

This is where a guy really needs to evaluate his priorities. Is getting married really worth putting off getting a Submersive? It's a tough call but somebody's gotta do it. If you ask me...the Submersive is always going to put out, always be there when you get home....and never ever leave you. I know what I'd be doing....good luck with whatever choice you make.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
^^hahahahahahahahaha. Now thats a good post.


I'm not to excited about fixing the NHTs. I mean they are ok but nothing special. I think they are rated down to only 27hz. I'm going to do some check to see if I can I can swing one of the SVS or one of the Elementals. If not, I'll probably get the Engery for half the price of either of those other options. I just flat dont know what the hell to do with the three subs now that I have that dont work.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top