AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[Special Note...The below was written on May, 13, 2002. We have grown a lot from that time.]

Well, well, well...We have reached over 1 million on-line posts and what a ride it has been!

First off we would like to say thanks, but no thanks to the donation idea to give to AVS Forum for the service. Very nice of some to have brought this up, however that is not what we are about.

The history of AVS Forum... (This was posted some time back in a thread..but felt this was a good time to bring this to all.) Please note...Alan and I work on this site as a team...However, I am writing this in the first person...

Back in 1995 Alan and I worked on the AV Science web site to take Home Theater, and what Alan (AV Science) offers, to the digital domain. http://www.avscience.com was born. It was doing ok but we needed a way to bring more people to the site. I came up with the idea of AV Science Q&A where people would ask questions to Alan and I on the topic of Home Theater. Seeing that this was part of the main AV Science site, the hope was that in turn, people would buy from AV Science. We would never, and have never, thought about charging to help people. We quickly became known as "The Boys of AV Science". This to me was quite funny...For I don't work for AV Science as an employee. We carried on our ideas of what made a good forum...that being to be kind to the people and they will be kind to you.

So as the site grew and grew over the next few years, it became evident that other people where starting to do exactly what we hoped they would do...Help People. So, the concept of "People Helping People" was born and continues to this day. In fact as Home Theater started to catch on and grow, the site did the same. It one day got to a point where it took on a life of its own and far exceeded our hopes.

In January 1999 AVS Forum was then born in the fashion you see it today. We still hold on to the same beliefs that helping and kindness can go a long way. The "People Helping People" idea is still here and still growing strong to make Home Theater even better and more enjoyable. Of course we still also hope that people would still buy from AV Science for the help given here. However, as I mentioned, the site took on a life of its own. Thus as more and more people came on the site, AV Science, as a company, started to drop of as the supporting source behind this forum. What I mean by this is that the newer members did not really even know about AV Science as a dealer. Seeing we do not believe in pushing product in front of the members (for the most part), this in turn was a negative effect on AV Science. We did not want the helpful forum to turn into a marketplace for dealers and people looking to make a quick buckso rules were set into place to protect the site. AV Science, Alan, even though he can, also tries to follow the same no marketing rule for the most part. (Though Alan does come across some really good deals at times to pass along thus the new section to make this easier.)

So, with the site growing and growing it was costing more and more money to run it. So along came the idea of the banner ads to help support the site. So you know...today the site sees over 30,000 unique people a day and last month sent out 350 Gigs of compressed data to reader's worldwide. Now add to that the cost of the servers over the years and the co-location costs of the servers you get the picture of the issues. As you can maybe see, the sponsors are now in fact needed to make this site possible. For without them, AVS Forum would be very hard to keep running as a free site for it is now bigger then what we had even dreamed of. The site now produces 12.5 million banner ads a month and requires 4 servers.

Even with all that we still want to keep this site, in its current form, FREE for all who care to come to help and learn about Home Theater. For without the members, the site would not be what it is today. Without the help of the un-paid moderators (who we also wish to thank), let's also not forget the site would not be like it is today. With this many people coming and going, the site can only be as good as its governing rules, which Alan and I make based on our thoughts and beliefs, and the supporting staff behind it. I feel we have done this very well and please most people. As we continue to grow...adjustments must be made and we make them as we feel is right. As always...it will not please everyone.

In the last few years we have gone though ups and downs on the site because of the growth and the new people to the site. The more people, the more chance of people not seeing eye to eye. Can you imagine...we have had some people hate our rules!!! No! ...But Yes! But, alas, at the same time respect why they are in place. We have even had people form new companies based on ideas that came from this forum. And even have seen new products developed to fill a need that again arose of this site. All in all, a community of fine Home Theater enthusiast's, worldwide, is what makes this all possible.

We have even done some great events like the last CES Dinner Party where over 300 people attended. That is something on it's own we are proud of. Then we have the Home Theater Cruise where we have at this time 191 booked passengers and manufactures who could not get in this year wanting to be involved next year. What a treat to know that we have built something so well enjoyed that people want to be part of these events. We even reach worldwide...of course through the net...But we have 6 couples comes from over seas from Germany, Sweden, Norway, France, and the Netherlands coming for the cruise! Now that says something!!!

So we wish to Thank You all for helping to make AVS Forum what it is today and for even wanting to help support it with donations as a way of saying thanks. To Alan and I, even the thought of offering to help is a great tribute to what we have built.

Soon will be a few ways you can give back if you so choose. One way is already in place via making a donation to the Elf Foundation who sets up home theaters in children's hospitals nationwide (Just Click the banner ad to help.). Another way, soon to be mentioned, will be in the form of something some of you have wanted for awhile...but will now be asked to pay for if you really want it.

So all in all Thank You again. For you really have made AVS Forum one of the TOP places on the net for Home Theater. We have often said that if we ever stopped having fun...it would end. Well...We are still having fun and this is a community Alan and I are very proud of.

Sincerely,

Your AVS Forum Team

"The Boys of AV Science" (funny)

Alan and David

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Well done Alan and David for making this such a great place to visit. Its nice to be part of the 'family'. Thanks also to the AVS musketeer's, Lawrence, Steve, Larry, Dennis et all, who do a fine job indeed.

Best regards to you all,

Eric

·
Super Moderator
21,382 Posts
Thanks to the AVS Forum Team- quite an accomplishment! This is my favorite site!

Mark

·
Registered
448 Posts
I read this site every day, several times a day!!! You are the best!!!! Long may you live!!!

·
Premium Member
11,839 Posts
This site sets the standard when it comes to A/V online and then some.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Congrats on the best HT site on the net.

This is the place where it all seems to come together...ideas and action.

Kenny

·
Registered
349 Posts
Wonderful work. I am constantly point friends and other professionals here.

All the best to you and Alan.

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
AVS Forums have been an invaluable resource for me and I read it several times a day. Without, it would have never learned how to get the true value of my HDTV, HTPC, turned on SHO-HD, etc etc etc!

Congratulations on 1 million posts and here's to another million!

·
Registered
564 Posts
David and Alan,

thanks for all your hard work keeping the best resource on the web running very smoothly. I hope to get to one of the dinners this year to meet everybody in person.

·
Registered
889 Posts
This is the most valuable site on the net for me.I've learned so much.Everyone is so helpfull and polite it's always a pleasure to be here.I've spent literally 2-4 hours a day for the past 2 years learning about this hobby and can say that i hope it never ends.I had no idea how interesting AVS could be.Thank you AVS forum and members.

·
Registered
21,355 Posts
Life sometimes is a matter of timing. I was doing a home theater web search and ran into the AVS Forums back in January 1999, just when the forum in its current form came on line. Who could have ever imagined how the forum would take off???? Pretty amazing. Nice goin' David and Alan!!!

·
Registered
446 Posts
People reaching out to each other across the net for help and ideas magic Idea

like to thank everyone.

And especially Dave and Alan for providing the tools do do it well done

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
This is a great site and I have enjoyed both learning and assisting others and I will continue to do so! Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
AVS Forum,

Cant get through a day without it.(addiction)

People helping other people,at no charge.What a concept.What a success!

1 - 20 of 123 Posts