AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im sorry to ask for info that I am sure has been posted time and time again but Ive just spent the last hour trying to find and collect all relevant info on my situation and I just cant seem to find what I need without getting lost.

here are the relevant facts

A new Sanyo Z3 Pj that will be placed about 12" from the wall on which the image is to be projected. Used mostly in the evening and at night so ambient light isnt a problem. The wall is at the moment a light blue with numurous patches spackled. Apart from the spackle filled holes there is jsut a tiny bit of texture to the painted surface.

I am not a DIY kind of guy, much to my wifes lament, so I know nothing about painting or wet sanding other than it involves rollers and paint. I take it that I need to sand the spackled wall down to as smooth a texture as possible. What kind of sanding stuff should I use?

Then once done I of course need to paint the wall..whether its SS or flat white, eggshell, or whatever its all confusing to a noob like me, Im just looking for an easy to do solution. How many coats of what should I use on the wall? Just give me names of products so I can write it down and take it to the home Depot or Lowes to give to the guy to find for me..lol

again I apologize for asking what I am sure has been asked thousands of times..

glad to be a soon to be Z3 owner

thanks

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,646 Posts

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
I suggest buying a melamine board from Home Depot or Lowe's and have them cut it to length. And then get someone to help you handle the heavy thing and and mount it for you on the wall. You also may want to come up with some sort of black, non-reflective boarder for it or whatever screen you use.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I assume you mean 12ft not 12" (inches) :)

Anyway, if your not much of a DIY guy, there are lots of options. If you decide to not take the painting route, you can stretch BlackOut cloth over a prebuilt frame. Another option is to go to a Menards or other home improvment store and get some Parkland Durotherm Lite panels from the paneling aisle. You would use the smooth white side, it is a light wait PVC material used to line car wash and garage walls, water proof and easy to clean.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gozorak
A new Sanyo Z3 Pj that will be placed about 12" from the wall on which the image is to be projected. Used mostly in the evening and at night so ambient light isnt a problem. The wall is at the moment a light blue with numurous patches spackled. Apart from the spackle filled holes there is jsut a tiny bit of texture to the painted surface.
Sorry but I just don't get this.

You are willing to spend a sub $2000 amount on a projector but you do not want to bother in getting a screen?

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpcfan
Sorry but I just don't get this.

You are willing to spend a sub $2000 amount on a projector but you do not want to bother in getting a screen?
What's to get? He wants to DIY it. for less than any Mfg. screen costs.

Did you check the Forum your in? Did you realize your in DIY Screens?

A check of your previous posts don't show any recent visit here. Why now to question someone elses perchant toward making himself a screen?

:rolleyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.